Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First DIY build: TC Sounds Epic 12/OAudio Bash500

After a long period of reading and analyzing this forum, I decided to do my first DIY subwoofer build.

Currently we have an Athena AS-P4000 subwoofer that had a amplifier failure a year ago and we replaced it by and O Audio Bash 500. Since then, we are analyzing the possibility to build another subwoofer.

Another restriction in our design is that it should be installed enclosed to a cabinet. In this case the best approach is a front firing subwoofer. Another problem related to the Athena AS-P4000: it is dowfiring.

Considering all these aspects, we established the following requirements for our subwoofer:
a) Sealed and front firing
b) Driver: TC Sounds Epic 12
c) Amplifier plate: O Audio Bash 500W (in a separate box)
d) Internal volume: 1.6 cu ft (cabinet restrictions)
e) MDF 20mm (approx 3/4")
f) simple bracing (based on Rythmik and Shiva designs)
g) top/bottom/front baffle = 2sheets of MDF (to increase weight/stifness)

Our experience with woodworking is very little and without clamps or sophisticated tools. By this reason, we decided to overdesign this subwoofer in terms of weight, inclusion of screws and two types of glues: PVA for the joints and polyuretane for the sealing.

We decide to take the risk with problem with the enclosure. Considering that it could be replaced keeping the main components.

I would like to know if we include stuffing to this enclosure we will have some gain.

As soon we increase the number of posts, we will add the pictures.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dear Mike,

Thanks by the response and the link.

Currently, we are using only the subsonic Filter. Based in a link here, I modeled it as a Peaking 2nd order Highpass. Based on the calculation I need to restrict it to 20Hz or if going to 16Hz, it is necessary to restrict the maximum power to 325 W in order to do not exceed the cone excursion. I need to recognize that I need to work more on the parametric EQ features of the O Audio Bash 500W. The end result up to now is far from a desired flat curve. Any additional hint?

Regarding the stuffing I am planning to put two layers. The first one with a type of blanket and the second one a little of polyfill.

See the pictures below:

1) The MDF parts

2) The lateral bracing unsual clamping (use of the remaining MDF parts)

3) The final assembly

4) The current status

5) Comparison with our current subwoofer

I need to be honest here, I consider this implementation as a partial DIY. I did the design and partial assembly. I do not have the competence neither the proper tools for the final assembly and veneering. So I gave it to a professional to do this job.

Now I need to wait for the driver and the terminal available at Part Express. Unfortunately, Part Express does not ship to Brazil. I expect that in one month time we will find a way to have these parts.

In case of any comments, let us know.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re: First DIY build: TC Sounds Epic 12/O Audio Bash500

I forgot to include an interesting information. The current cabinet's weight is 47.8lbs (21.7 Kg).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Marcos,
Very nice first build! You are much more ambitious than I am; for my first sub, I purchased the box already assembled. Yours is much better- better bracing and custom size; it should sound wonderful.
Are there no speaker parts suppliers in Brazil? I'm very lucky to have Parts Express here, but I'm surprised that no one sells drivers closer to you.
Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,

I am very anxious to see the end result of this project.

Here in Brazil we have a lot of other options, the great majority are car subwoofers (Pionner, JBL, Selenium, Nar Audio, ...). However, the decision factor was the WinISD simulation. We could not find any other driver here with the TC Sounds response. The differences were in the range of 10Hz and half of the Xmax. Another aspect is that the TC Sounds driver is very good for HT.

I prefer to take more time to have access to a better component.

But one thing that it was very nice, it was the opportunity to enter in this DIY world. Even without experience. It is fascinating. We could really design something that really meets our particular environment and develop other skills. After this experience, I am starting to consider in the future to design/build the remaining speakers of our HT.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Nick69,

See below the information you asked:

External:
L = 370mm (14,57 in)
H = 460mm (18,11 in)
W = 460mm (18,11 in)

Internal:
L = 330mm (13 in)
H = 380mm (15 in)
W = 380mm (15 in)

MDF = 20mm (0,79in)

Top and bottom = 2 sheets of MDF
Lateral/back = 1 sheet of MDF
Bracing = 1 sheet of MDF
Front = 3 sheets of MDF (2 baffle + 1 cover/finishing)

In case of any additional information, let us know.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Registered
147 Posts
Marcos, I especially like the marble "work bench" in the first photo; I assembled and lined my cab on my living room sofa... You mention thinking about future designs- I've been reading Ray Alden's "Speaker Building 201" and highly recommend it for basic info and understanding of this audio diy stuff. I plan to follow it with Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook." (I tried them in the other order first, but that was a mistake.) The books have really helped me follow some of the discussions on these forums about more advanced topics, and even lend some assistance on some basic issues.
Please let us know how your build turns out, especially how great it sounds!
Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Tom,

Thanks by your DIY speakers design books recommendation. I really need to have more knowledge in order to try other speakers building. I know that sealed subwoofer is easy to design and build than other type of speakers. So let's begin with the easier one.

As soon as I finished this subwoofer, I will put the impressions here. Up to this moment, I am still trying to find a way to get the remaining parts.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ExplorerEst,

Up to this moment, I only have the WinISD simulation.

After I finish the project, I will try to learn the REW in order to obtain the real data.

Q.J.A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jstslamd,

Yes. Part Express does not ship products to Brazil. However, we have ordered one and a friend that it is traveling to the USA is bringing it. We expect to complete the project up to the end of the week.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi,

Project finished.

See below some preliminary pictures.

1) Terminal

2) Enclosure stuffing

3) Rubber feet

4) Enclosure back

5) Final installation

Preliminary evaluation:
We only did a very brief adjustment in order to level the subwoofer level with the remaining speakers. We will perform a proper calibration during the weekend.

The initial impression was very good. Now I understand the meaning of tight bass. Very good. When I played the Kung Fu Panda I could really feel the bass. I also played the U-571 Deep charge scene. The room was shaking.

We are very happy with the end result.

The final weight is 31.7 Kg (69.89 lbs).

We expect to take better pictures and perform a proper review during the weekend.

We really appreciate your support and help.

Marcos

Q.J.A

·
Registered
147 Posts
Marcos,
Congrats on completing your "International build." The final result looks great, and I'm sure you'll enjoy what it does for your movies and music. You can take pride in a job well done!

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts