Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

For my first post I present to you this.

I want to replace my current sub, an old sony sa 20, 50 watt 8", with something a little more substantial. I think that I can get a better sound/dollar value by DIY.

Here is the room, 2300^3, open to a kitchen the same size. Hardwood floor with a throw rug taking up an 8x8 square in the middle.

Current surrounds are Orb's with a dual center. Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V861BL.

WAF needs to be high...I mean really high.:kiss: That means smaller is better. My wife thinks the Sony is too much,:coocoo: but I think it's because the sound it puts out is just to diluted. I want good "clean" bass but I also want to be able to get low enough for movies. If she is home you can forget about anything even near reference levels, but when the cat is away...:hsd:

This is mostly going to be for Movies and TV, with some music (20%).

Budget, Ideally would be $300 for the driver and the amp. I am pretty good at building things and I have the tools so the enclosure should be easy for me.

I submit to your Subwoofer genius.

Later
JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would like too keep it as small as possible. I think a 12" sealed might be a nice compromise. Lets say a box that is 20X20X20 or so. Is that to small? What would you say is a minimum?

PS the people at ORB suggest a 120 crossover point.

Thanks
JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ORB = Orb Audio those are my mains and surrounds.

Don't they have add space on this board?

Later
JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't mean anything by it just pointing out that they have an add, so I just though you would have known what the Orb's were.

What type of amp? Plate or separate? What kind of power would you suggest? Anyone think I could do a Sonotube type that is 36" tall" dia could be whatever.

Later
JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I look at it I should have said Ad. My fault. That's what I get for doing to many things at once.

Later
JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what do you think about the Shiva X with a 240-300 watt plate amp? I see that a lot of people here like the O Audio 500, what about the 300, I have to save some money somewhere so it's got to be amp or driver that takes the hit.

Later
JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesn't have to be a cube, if it models better as a rectangle. I am going to put together a 20x20x20 cardboard box and see what type of reaction I get .:praying:.

Later
JimC

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the shack, I have the Shiva and it is a fantastic sub. I recently started a build on a 4cf sealed enclosure which will be done soon. You can't go wrong with the advice you get here. :yes: People here are very helpfull. Keep us informed on your build......:T

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, put a plant on it :R

I'd suggest getting the best driver you can afford. It's easier to upgrade the amp later.
Good idea on the plant. Have to make it a realllllly nice one. :bigsmile: I appreciate all the help. I am going to go with the Shiva, and I think the 300 watt bash amp from parts express. I have an $75 gift cert for Amazon, and they have an amazon store front.

I think I have her won over anyway. Though I'm sure it will end up costing me in the long run. :spend:

Thanks again for all the help.

JimC

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was afraid of that.:spend:

Though I guess I could buy the amp and woofer from DIYCable. Seems like the same price as anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts