Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, i am in the process of remodeling/updating a home that currently has a decent entertainment system but they asked me to upgrade/update everything for a big theater in their home.

This is a rough draft of the layout that i would like to do:
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/newDrawing1.jpg

Money isn't really an problem (within reason of course). This is a run down as to what they are looking to get:

1) A projector with RS232 port thats less than $5K
2) A LED LCD 55-60" with RS232 port around $3-4k
3) 4 in-ceiling speakers ~$1-2K
4) 3 in-wall front (left, right center) speakers ~2k
5) Motorized 120" in-ceiling drop down acoustically transparent screen ~$4k?
6) Large (12"-15") sub-woofer $2k
7) A/V receiver with lots of HDMI 1.4/RS232 port ~4k
8) Windows 7 Media Center with Ceton InfiniTV 4 quad-tuner card

It's important that i have the RS232 port so i can program it to all be controlled by a custom program i will be making for the Media Center.

So i am pretty much posting this here so i can get some feedback/advice as to what would work the best for my setup. I hope to get everything needed at Crutchfield (minus the computer and probably screen) so keep that in mind if you like sending links. Although i am open to anything :)

This is my list so far (Please comment on the parts if you have used them!)
LED LCD:
LG 55LX9500

Receiver:
Marantz SR7005

Speakers:
Triad Bronze/8 LCR X 4
Axiom VP150 v3 X 1
Axiom M22 V3 X 2
Axiom M3 v3 X 2

Projector:
JVC DLA-RS35
PowerLite Home Cinema 8700 UB

Subwoofer:
Rythmik audio F12SE X 2

Projector Screen:
Seymour AV screen

Thank for taking the time to read this and helping out a noob! :)

David

Here are just a few images of the actual room (sorry too them with my cell phone..):
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic1.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic2.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic3.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic4.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic5.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic6.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic7.jpg
http://www.june3rdsoftware.com/theater/pic8.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Truly looks like an excellent plan of action and list of Components. Really do not see any aspect to critique.
JJ

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If your budget is $5k I think you can do much better than the PowerLite Home Cinema 8700 UB, either a JVC D-ILA or a Sony SXRD will destroy any LCD based projector.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A good 120" motorized A/T screen wont be cheap and might be a budget killer.

Whats the goal of doing this work? Are you doing it for a friend or to make money? If to make money you would be better off working with a custom dealer and letting them sell the package to you and marking it up a small percentage as Crutchfield is full MSRP on almost everything. Also remember you will end up being responsible for support and maintenance and time isn't free.

I love MCE but am very hesitant to put it in a customers house due to its delicate nature (updates, virus, hardware). Tho I cant wait to get my hands on the Ceton card.

Finally you could use IP instead of 232 for the Marantz and possibly the projector as well.

Are you planning to do something really different with the programming? Otherwise the control could easily be accomplished with existing control options.

Just trying to give you honest answers.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a very nice list of components, a few i would change only because i am partial to some brands but you have an awesome list so i see no need for change.:T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your budget is $5k I think you can do much better than the PowerLite Home Cinema 8700 UB, either a JVC D-ILA or a Sony SXRD will destroy any LCD based projector.
Would you mind giving me the model numbers with the JVC and Sony? I cant pull anything up for the Sony by that and there are a few models for the JVC.

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good 120" motorized A/T screen wont be cheap and might be a budget killer.

Whats the goal of doing this work? Are you doing it for a friend or to make money? If to make money you would be better off working with a custom dealer and letting them sell the package to you and marking it up a small percentage as Crutchfield is full MSRP on almost everything. Also remember you will end up being responsible for support and maintenance and time isn't free.

I love MCE but am very hesitant to put it in a customers house due to its delicate nature (updates, virus, hardware). Tho I cant wait to get my hands on the Ceton card.

Finally you could use IP instead of 232 for the Marantz and possibly the projector as well.

Are you planning to do something really different with the programming? Otherwise the control could easily be accomplished with existing control options.

Just trying to give you honest answers.
Hey thanks for the reply!

I understand that a A/T screen is not cheap but it will be needed for the type of setup they have since they dont have much front wall space needed to space out the speakers outside the screens area. Especially the center speaker.

I am doing this for a client. He is getting a contractor to do the work of fixing the walls, stadium seating, etc. I would only be responsible for letting the contractor know what holes i would need for the speakers, projector, etc and installing them.

I think they would benefit from having the windows media center since they are only using the room for movies and problem causal tv shows on the LG. Other than that, the computer will not be used for anything but that so i do not see any virus problems. Although i will install a anti-virus program just in case.

I find using RS232 would be easier as to what i plan on doing. I will be getting one of those Android tablets ($140) and running a VNC off of that to the media center. The media center will have a virtual machine running XP with my custom program on that and it will send out the RS232 from there. And since the media center will be running outside of the VM, i will have another tiny program running on the media center part that listens via LAN commands so that they can change channels, etc inside the media center. But saying all that, I've never really done anything besides RS232 commands. Its a first for me to do the LAN commutations for the media center from the VM-which isn't all that hard. Pretty much like an IM program.

David

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like re-inventing the wheel as far as control goes, there are a few options out there for controlling MCE such as Autonomic Home Controls, MCE Controller, Crestron SMW, and I believe control4 also has an option

Or why not just enable concurrent session on Windows 7 as its the best permeation of Windows Media Center yet and that would give you full acceleration of GUI which MCE needs to look right, even on a LAN VNC isnt the snappiest interface.

Let me take a stab and say you were the IT guy for this client and he asked? Nothing wrong with it as thats kind of how I got my start in the CE industry but there are alot of things that are different with CE versus IT. People expect problems with computers, but they also expect the TV to just work. Expectation level is the hardest thing to manage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do your research on the prices, while this JVC is a little beyond your budget a brand new previous model should be within your price range. I wouldnt blame you at all if you went beyond your $5k budget on the projo, if you can.....its well worth it. But $5k will still get you a much better projo then a $2k LCD ;)
I'm mainly look at the Lumens output of the projectors as i am told that its the most important part of finding a projector to meet your rooms needs. The higher the Lumens, the better the chances are that, even with a some-what dark room, you will still get a great picture.

Having said that, the JVC is only 900 and the 800? And also the contrast is 50000:1/120000:1 respectively compared to the 1600/200000:1 of the PowerLite Home Cinema 8700 UB?

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like re-inventing the wheel as far as control goes, there are a few options out there for controlling MCE such as Autonomic Home Controls, MCE Controller, Crestron SMW, and I believe control4 also has an option

Or why not just enable concurrent session on Windows 7 as its the best permeation of Windows Media Center yet and that would give you full acceleration of GUI which MCE needs to look right, even on a LAN VNC isnt the snappiest interface.

Let me take a stab and say you were the IT guy for this client and he asked? Nothing wrong with it as thats kind of how I got my start in the CE industry but there are alot of things that are different with CE versus IT. People expect problems with computers, but they also expect the TV to just work. Expectation level is the hardest thing to manage.
I'm opened to talking to you more about what you suggested above. Feel free to PM me your ideas on how to control the projector, A/V receiver and Media center from the computer :) i'd love to hear you're ideas on that matter if you are willing to share.

David

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
A few things

-I'd spring for the M22s over the M3s. For a dedicated theater I'd personally go Seaton, RBH, or JTR though :p
-I'd consider two subs, the rythmik is an excellent choice though!
-Seymour AV makes some of the best A/T projection screens
-any reason for an LED over a plasma? It sounds like a dedicated, dim room!
-budget in tons of sound treatment - at reflection points and corners especially! Underneath raised seating is always a nice spot as well.
-SR7005 is nice, but how about an AV7005 paired with an EMotiva UPA-7!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm mainly look at the Lumens output of the projectors as i am told that its the most important part of finding a projector to meet your rooms needs. The higher the Lumens, the better the chances are that, even with a some-what dark room, you will still get a great picture.

Having said that, the JVC is only 900 and the 800? And also the contrast is 50000:1/120000:1 respectively compared to the 1600/200000:1 of the PowerLite Home Cinema 8700 UB?

David
Have you asked the client if they understand the principles behind a front projection system? Unless you spend big money on a screen that rejects ambient light in the room the lack of image brightness will be an issue in any room thats illuminated, regardless of the listed brightness of your projector of choice. While its true that your LCD choice will be brighter, its also true that it will pale in contrast and black level performance in comparison to a D-ILA or LCOS based tech. Also, assuming they close doors, the room you show in the pictures will be easy to control light in, from what I see theres only one window. BTW, take manufactures published performance numbers with a grain of salt, read REVIEWS instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
497 Posts
Why not do a separate box that is entirely for control? I'm not a big fan of trying to do everything with the PC as it never seems to work out perfectly, not that it can't just past experiences with homebrew thru 10K+ Media servers from Inteset and others have proven its not reliable enough for me to put it in a customers house. Then again thats why they pay me so well because my systems do work...

There are ways like Charmed Quark that turn the PC into full fledged automation platform or LifeWare as well.

Send me a PM with any questions you have but keeping it out in the open forum may help others later

·
Registered
497 Posts
"Sound transparent models with AcousticPro1080 also available" thats from the page I posted, and you are talking about Moire problems which with most recent screens shouldn't be a problem but I haven't seen it in person so I can't confirm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few things

-I'd spring for the M22s over the M3s. For a dedicated theater I'd personally go Seaton, RBH, or JTR though :p
-I'd consider two subs, the rythmik is an excellent choice though!
-Seymour AV makes some of the best A/T projection screens
-any reason for an LED over a plasma? It sounds like a dedicated, dim room!
-budget in tons of sound treatment - at reflection points and corners especially! Underneath raised seating is always a nice spot as well.
-SR7005 is nice, but how about an AV7005 paired with an EMotiva UPA-7!
The AV7005 does look nice... but those speaker connections on it scare me :) I dont know how those 3-prong connectors hook up as i never used anything like that before (although they do look like the type a guitar amp would have, etc). The speakers i have listed do not have any type of connection like that so how would those connect up? Or does the EMotiva UPA-7 convert those into standard +/- connections? I'm new to this type of connection

Yes, i thing going with 2 rythmik subs would be a way to even up the whole field :). One in the corner and the other to the right of the TV.

The reason why i choose the M3's over the M22s is, one they are newer and two they are on-wall. Sorry, i think i need to correct my OP to say on-wall.

Wow! those Seymour AV screen do look nice. But what are the prices on the 120???

The LED will last a million times longer than a plasma. It also has a better picture (color and contrasts (in my opionion)) than a plasma has. Oh, most importantly, its skinny as ! :T Only problem with that LG screen is that i am hearing mixed reviews on the RS232 port being a "service only" and not "communcations" port :foottap:

David

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes, thats definitely your opinion. However most everyone else considers plasma superior to LCD in picture quality, and in every way except maybe brightness. Life span will be fine for most, except those that keep their tv for 20 years. Much more skinny, yeah, got me there, LCD wins ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you asked the client if they understand the principles behind a front projection system? Unless you spend big money on a screen that rejects ambient light in the room the lack of image brightness will be an issue in any room thats illuminated, regardless of the listed brightness of your projector of choice. While its true that your LCD choice will be brighter, its also true that it will pale in contrast and black level performance in comparison to a D-ILA or LCOS based tech. Also, assuming they close doors, the room you show in the pictures will be easy to control light in, from what I see theres only one window. BTW, take manufactures published performance numbers with a grain of salt, read REVIEWS instead.
Alright. I think i will change to the JVC DLA-RS25U as it seems to be THX certified so i know it HAS to look great in picture quality to have a stamp like that.

David

1 - 20 of 34 Posts