Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this exercise was to determine if my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 would work well tuned to 16 Hz instead of the 20 Hz I've been running at. If I understand what I did tonight with REW, then I think I'm good at 16 Hz. I have not had a chance to watch a movie since I made the change.

The key to the graph:

Blue is the sub tuned to 20 Hz
Yellow is the sub tuned to 16 Hz
Red is the sub tuned to 16 Hz after running Audyssee MultEQ XT

blue 20 hz, yellow 16 hz, red 16 hz audyssee.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
First off, welcome to the Shack.

That's a tough call there. You obviously get more infrasonic information at the 16 Hz tuning. To me the yellow curve looks a bit flatter in the audible range (20+). Then you just have the peaks at 60 and dips at 90 to deal with. Looks like Audyssey tried to compensate there.

The only other part of the equation for me would be the transient response. If the 16Hz tuning rings more, it might actually be worse to listen to. You can look at that in REW as well, in fact it should have been saved from your original sweeps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. This is the first time I am really trying to optimize the sub, so I'm in learning mode.

My sub has a Single band parametric equalizer. Would it be helpful to use it to tame the peak at 60 Hz (like I actually know how to do that :no: )? Should I be concerned about the issue at 90 Hz if my speakers are crossed at 80 Hz?

Transient response? Where to I see this info in REW?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Should I be concerned about the issue at 90 Hz if my speakers are crossed at 80 Hz?
Not sure what issue you see at 90 Hz, but it is probably coming from both the sub and mains, so it'd doubtful that you can do anything about it.

My sub has a Single band parametric equalizer. Would it be helpful to use it to tame the peak at 60 Hz (like I actually know how to do that :no: )?
The sub's manual tells you how to use the parametric EQ. The instructions are kinda complicated; it would be much easier to use REW's RTA feature. That way you can tweak the parametric filter's adjustments and see its effect in real time.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts