Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear Hometheatershack community,

after a weekend of reading and tweaking and going back and forth I think I am finally ready to post my first graphs. Subs are two Klipsch KW-120 powered by a Klipsch KA-1000 THX Amp. The crossover is set to 80Hz at my Yamaha 3800 which serves as a preamp for my 5 Marantz Monoamps powering 2 Klipsch CF-3, 1 Klipsch KLF C7 (center) and two KG 4.5 (rear).

I seem to get a nasty rise above 20Hz which makes the house shake and my girlfriend comming up to my theater room :foottap:. The response is shown in the first graph, subwoofer runs a little bit hot me thinks. I tried the Boundary Room Gain Correction switch on the KA-1000THX which brings down the peaks and allows me to run the other low frequencies louder as shown in the second graph. Both graph are recorded with the same settings and volume levels, subs only. Only the Boundary Gain switch was off in the first graph. I think I need a FBQ to tame my lower end right? I was initially planning on an Anti-mode but seeing that I can get a FBQ 2496 for less than 140€ here in Germany I am rethinking my decision. I also like working with REW. Just have to find out how to safely connect the FBQ between the Yammy and the KA1000. :nerd:

Graph 1 no Room Gain correction 2 Klipsch KW-120 XO 80Hz

sub@80hz roomcompdeact.jpg

Graph 2 Boundary Room Gain activated 2 Klipsch KW-120 XO 80Hz

sub@80hz roomcompact.jpg

I am really looking forward to hearing from you :R
Regards
Nima

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I think I need a FBQ to tame my lower end right?
It would seem that the BRG switch takes care of the low end quite nicely. I don't see any other room mode problems. The response is quite good and doesn't require EQ.

Just have to find out how to safely connect the FBQ between the Yammy and the KA1000.
What does safely imply?

brucek

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Brucek,

thank you for you answer. So a FBQ would be a waste of money considering my graph? I could use the PEQ in the Yamaha to tweak the response a little bit or would that be a waste of time?. I will also experiment with the volume level of the subwoofer. I have read a bit about a house curve but 8Db louder than the mains would be a little overkill for me. I settled for a bit less for the time being. With the safe connection of the FBQ I meant that one reads so much stuff here on the forums that a newcomer like me gets scared to hook up Studio equipement etc. into his other components.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is also a graph of the Klipsch CF3 main speakers XO 80Hz.

Wayne thank you for the welcome and your answer. Unfortunately my room is rather small (4m x 5m) and the Subs are placed alongside the mains under the screen. I do have a couple of centimeters to the left and right though. :dunno:

Graph Klipsch CF3:

klipschcf3.jpg

Regards,
Nima

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
So a FBQ would be a waste of money considering my graph?
I personally think so.

I could use the PEQ in the Yamaha to tweak the response a little bit or would that be a waste of time?
Probably a waste of time. Not sure where you would want to tweak, though. Below 80 Hz it looks fine. Above 80 Hz, it's not possible to equalize those jagged peaks and dips. with any kind of equalizer.

With the safe connection of the FBQ I meant that one reads so much stuff here on the forums that a newcomer like me gets scared to hook up Studio equipement etc. into his other components.
All you need is cables with RCAs on one end and 1/4" on the other. Piece of cake. :T

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts