Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first attempt at equalizing my sub. Its an SVS PB13-Ultra equalized with a BFD 1124. After a lot of experimenting and hours of reading in the forums here, this is my first graphs where I'm happy with the sound. Note there is only one place in my living room where the sub fits, so moving it to get rid of the dip at 30hz wasn't an option.
The before was a mess...
before.jpg
I used 4 filters to get these results...
after.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Good job on the graphs.

It's a shame you can't move the sub somewhat to alleviate the dip. Sometimes just rotating the sub can offer better results.

You've been quite aggressive with your boosting. It looks to be about +12db at least at ~20Hz. That's eating a lot of headroom. Hopefully your sub can handle that much.

brucek

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only movement I can make with the sub is to slide it 6" closer to the side wall and that only made the dip worse. I could face it into the wall that would yeild a very low WAF. I did have to be aggressive at 30hz and 20hz, sub seems to be taking it in stride, no bad sounds coming from it. Hopefully being able to keep the number of filters down to 4 will help with the headroom.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts

Good job, corock. Yeah, the PB13-Ultra is a pretty stout sub. Plus, I think SVS typically builds in some compression to prevent overdriving, so you're probably fine, especially if you aren't hearing any signs of stress. The compression may give some loss of impact (dynamics) at high levels, though, but I imagine that would be an acceptable trade off...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wayne. I can't thank you enough for your contributions to this forum which helped me arrive where I got to today. I've been disappointed with the bass performance in my system for years, but with the help of this forum and your articles on house curves I finally I went out and got an SVS sub and BFD and couldn't be happier with the results I heard.
Would I benefit from creating a seperate curve for music that didn't have the boost at 20hz? From what I understand most music doesn't go that low so do I really need the boost there? Would eliminating that boost give me more headroom and dynamics for high level music listening?

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, corock! :T

Would I benefit from creating a seperate curve for music that didn't have the boost at 20hz? From what I understand most music doesn't go that low so do I really need the boost there? Would eliminating that boost give me more headroom and dynamics for high level music listening?
Movie bass is typically much louder and more intense than bass from music, so you'd have to be listening to music at much higher levels than movies to perhaps see a benefit. That said, some people prefer different curves for one or the other. The BFD has memories for storing and recalling different settings, so it certainly never hurts to experiment.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts