Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, last 3 questions for now. #1. Lets say I didn't trust myself. If I found a 10 cu. ft., 17 hz. tuned design modeled for a different sub, would it work with my sub? I found this slotted port model online and wonder if it work for me.
http://www.istonline.ca/pagepics/enclosures/ixl18-1.jpg
http://www.istonline.ca/pagepics/enclosures/ixl18-2.jpg
#2. Also, does the type of port (slotted vs. port tubes) affect the final performance? Slotted would eliminate the need to purchase $40 worth of tubes. That alone could pay for the mdf.
#3. After reading more reviews of the Bash300, it appears the amp has a subsonic filter set to 22hz. Does this automatically mean I will lose all useable output below that cutoff?? That would seem to make this amp a losing choice for me.
Thank you for time,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
1. Yes, that will work just fine.

2. The type of port does not affect the performance, a slot port is perfectly fine.

3. If the Bash 300 you're getting is from Parts Express then the subsonic filter is at 17.7 hz. I believe the Bash 300 that has a subsonic filter at 22 hz was from O Audio and that company went out of business some months ago.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mike, I've been WAF'd down to the 6ft box. :nono: I have a couple questions. You mentioned 6ft^3 @ 20hz. Calculators show two 3in ports at 13.68in. Most ports I see around here are 4in. ports. Is there a problem using 3in flared ports? Bringing me to the second question, port length measurements. Flares are not part of that 13.68in, right? I need 13.68in of straight tube between the flares..?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is there a performance difference between port diameters when they are properly spec'd to the box and driver? Any advantage to using two 4in ports that are longer over using two 3in ports that are shorter?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
And the advantage of lower port air speed is strictly limted to the reduction of possible port noise? No timing consequences?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Mike, I was just gifted a small powered store bought sub. Very small. A Polk Audio PSW10 to be exact. I'm wondering if there is anything to be gained by trying to integrate this into my system. The DIY 15" build you have been so graciously assisting me with is still going to happen. Wondering if this small sub could bring anything to party, perhaps as a filler between the 15"(or 15's) and the small bookshelf mains and center channel. I'm including the specs for the little 10" below and the bookshelfs, just in case there's more to this than a simple "no". Receiver is a Yamaha RX V473.

Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer
Diameter 10" (25.40cm)
Dynamic Balance polymer composite cone
Total Frequency Response 35Hz - 200Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 160Hz kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 40 Hz
Subwoofer Crossover:
variable 80Hz - 160Hz
Inputs:
Speaker Level, Line Level
Outputs Speaker Level
Amplifier Specs:
Distortion <1%
Bandwidth 40Hz - 200Hz
220V Availability Yes
Amplifier Type Subwoofer
Continuous Power 50 watts
Dynamic Power 100 watts
Subwoofer Enclosure Type:
Vented via front panel flared port

Polk T15 Bookshelf Speakers-2 Sets
Total Frequency Response 60Hz-24kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 20 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 65 Hz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Efficiency 89 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power:
20-100 watts per channel

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
If you're willing, the PSW10 can offer you an excellent learning experience especially since your needs are for 95% movies. Hook it up to your system, all it needs is a RCA cable from the receiver to the sub amp. Watch a few movies known for low frequency content, get a feel for the low frequencies that it can produce, which will be non existent below 30 hz.
Build your Phoenix Gold sub and watch the same movies. Your Phoenix Gold subs are capable of true 20 hz extension, the difference will be night and day. Search the house for the Polk, it will be found hiding somewhere. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Is there some reason I dont see many cabinets finished with counter top laminate? It would seem like great protection for the mdf..I was planning on using it for my sub to match my exsisting tv stand, but then it clicked to me that I dont see anybody else doing much with it. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Cool! I was afraid you were gonna tell me it vibrates off the box eventually. I did notice the price of sheet is more than twice the cost of mdf, but I have a friend...:D

21 - 40 of 100 Posts