Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I need a little advice with building my first HT.
The first step is done, I buy a used JVC X55R some days ago. The HT space is a living space and I can't paint the walls dark as it should be. The ambient light will be zero when I'll watch films but my main problem are the white walls and white ceiling. I'm casting right now on a white wall in the room, the dark scenes are really good but the light ones lose a lot of contrast.
I want to buy a motorized screen, but I don't know which kind of screen will be better.

Attached my project, walls are all white also if they seem grey on the project.

THANKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unless you need the motorized screen because you want it hidden/off-the-wall when you aren't using it, a plain Fixed-Frame style screen or even a painted wall will often work better and stay flat/smooth much longer. Fixed-Frame screens (as well as paint) also tends to offer the most color and gain options along with the lowest price.

Even nice Tab-Tension rollup screens can get dents/bands over time, and non-Tab-Tension rollup screens often start to curl and develope waves within the first year.

A modest AmbientLightRejection screen can help fight wall/ceiling reflections.
Alternatively (or at the same time), you might consider finding a nice-looking flat/matte color for the room which is darker than white but still stylish for a regular living-space.
Another option that can be used alone or with paint is setting up a long dark-colored curtain on a rod against the left/right walls where they meet with the screen-wall. These can be tied back along either side or into the corner when not in use, then released to suddenly darken the walls in a way that's quickly and easily (and stylishly) reversible.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Can you at least pick a darker color...or maybe attach black panels to the screen wall, and the first 2' (or more) on the ceiling?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts