Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's my first post here. Recently I bought new monitors for my studio - PMC TB2.
I use them in my post production studio, mainly mix and master. Studio is well trapped (not professionally, though, all by myself). It has a rather 'rare' shape, being a rectangle with cut in one corner.
Until a week ago I setup my speakers using my ears mostly, basic knowledge and explored best options (knowing my room limitations). Actually I was quite happy with achievements.

Since PMC's situation has change I decided to check acoustics of room properly. So I bought SPL from radioshack and downloaded REW. I managed to calibrate my audiointerface, SPL meter and make first measurements.
I don't have a clue how to interpret those data. I played a bit with speaker setup, moving them in all directions, noticed that graph with data has changed.
Anyway I feel like a blind man, not understanding what I am actually doing.
My goal is to get room EQ as best as possible. i understand it's not only speaker setup, but mostly room and room treatment.
So my question is, what is really wrong with graph below ?
What I should be focused on to achieve best results ?
I spent over 3 days setting up PMC's (very very touchy about placement) and I thought I 've found sweet spot. Then after measures with SPL, I am confused ....

I got dozens of questions, starting from - should I seat in my chair (mixing/listening position) and then start measure, or should I leave the room ? etc, etc.

I hope you guys will help me !

thanx in advance

PS sorry for a photo format... I just made photo off my oder PC (in studio) ...faster option.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You require 5 post first that you can attain by going to the post padding thread.

should I seat in my chair (mixing/listening position) and then start measure, or should I leave the room ?
I don't see any big deal about remaining in the mixing chair while taking your measurements. Have the mic above your head perhaps so it gets all the reflections from the back of the room. Tilt the mic toward the front of the mixing console where your monitors are located.

Hopefully you realize that a Radio Shack meter is only reliable to about 3Khz (which should be fine for your concerned area about treatment).

The graphs of concern will be the response and waterfall plots.

brucek

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wayne, ou are the Man !

thank you,
really appreciate your help.

I know I can make .jpg., but it's on a studio comp, so moving data to laptop is inconvenient .

again great thanx, and I am awaiting for any directions
how you can interpret this picture ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and now, 'fresh and hot' new graph :

PS. it's with SUB. I think I 'repaired' some dips&peaks with delicate setting of subs cutoff filter, phase and volume.ooooppphhhhh....
wasn't easy

Now, is it good freq graph ??
and if not- what's wrong and need work ?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
what's wrong
You require a meter calibration file with REW.

And as stated already:

Make sure your vertical graph axis is 45-105 dB.

Keep in mind that the Radio Shack meter is only good out to 3 kHz.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts

Now, is it good freq graph ??
and if not- what's wrong and need work ?
If I understand your first post you're interested in full-range response, not just the sub?

Keeping in mind that anything above about 3 kHz isn't too accurate, overall the graph looks pretty good.

Since this is a home studio I assume you're in a rather small room, and if that's the case it appears that your subwoofer level might be a bit low.

Like brucek said, you do need to apply the calibration file for the meter - you can find it in out downloads section. We can give a more definitive analysis once you get that done.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Wayne,

thank you for your support. I am confused what to do now... Which of files I should use from download section and mostly - HOW ? I am lost...
help...

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
but still can't find any info what to do with .cal file
Save the file in your computer.

REW Settings page / Meter-Mic tab / Browse to the file location in your computer.

it looks similar to this one -Model 33-4050
No, you can't use a cal file from a different meter - they use different capsules. You will have to find a cal file for your meter, or get a Radio Shack meter.
Since you want to measure full range, a Radio Shack meter is not suffice though, you require a better meter such as the Galaxy CM-140.

brucek

1 - 16 of 16 Posts