Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my USB Soundblaster X-fi card. Ran the cal Ok and saved it

Got my CM-140 and downloaded cal file and selected it. (C weighting unchecked. Meter set for C weighting, fast, 50-100)

Ran check levels in prefs. Adjusted AVR volume to give 75db on SPL

Ran SPL cal. All OK.

Set AVR to 2-ch (configured AVR for small fronts and 1 sub)

Went to measure. Ran check levels and it got this:

Measure - Check Levels.jpg

Don't understand why it says this or what I should do about it.

Ran measurement anyway. Got this:

with phase.jpg

Very confused

What is the phase line? Here it is without:

without phase.jpg

My master file is attached too.

If I want to measure just the sub, is it safe to disconnect the other speakers if the AVR thinks they are there? (Don't want to blow up my brand new receiver)

Regards

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same problem when I tried to run the test tone out of a USB mic interface (Lexicon Lambda). The only way I could get a proper sine sweep without a high pitched warble (that looked exactly like your graph) was to run the tone out of my built in sound card. To this day I have no idea where the warble was coming from

As far as the record volume being too low it's usually because the microphone or line input is too low. If you don't want to mess with that you can just boost your AVR volume. Running the test 'louder' than the 75dB setting won't ruin it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem when I tried to run the test tone out of a USB mic interface (Lexicon Lambda). The only way I could get a proper sine sweep without a high pitched warble (that looked exactly like your graph) was to run the tone out of my built in sound card. To this day I have no idea where the warble was coming from

As far as the record volume being too low it's usually because the microphone or line input is too low. If you don't want to mess with that you can just boost your AVR volume. Running the test 'louder' than the 75dB setting won't ruin it.
Thanks

So did you do the sound card cal from the built in sound card to USB line in?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
In the "control panel" under "sound" you can increase the mic/input level, mine was set to 30 i incresed it to 50 and this improved alot.

Try this and if no effect put it back to original settings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks

So did you do the sound card cal from the built in sound card to USB line in?
Sort of. I ended up sending the test signal from my built in sound card and recording the meter output through my USB interface, and then I increased the volume on my AVR and boosted the gain on the line in on the Lambda until it was enough. I was't too concerned with the SPL readings, just with getting it enough volume to register properly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sort of. I ended up sending the test signal from my built in sound card and recording the meter output through my USB interface, and then I increased the volume on my AVR and boosted the gain on the line in on the Lambda until it was enough. I was't too concerned with the SPL readings, just with getting it enough volume to register properly.
Thanks. Will give it a try.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Measurement and soundcard cal look fine, but should redo the SPL cal as displayed levels look much higher than they should be. It is ok to disconnect speakers, also reduce the sweep frequency range when measuring just the sub.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Measurement and soundcard cal look fine, but should redo the SPL cal as displayed levels look much higher than they should be. It is ok to disconnect speakers, also reduce the sweep frequency range when measuring just the sub.
Thanks John

Just want to check, there's nothing to do with SPL cal other than set value to match actuaul SPL reading and clicking finished is there?

Regards

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts