Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

This is my first run using a Radio Shack SPL meter and laptop soundcard. I have 2 subs in up front corners which I calibrated and up'd the AVR gain to be a little hot.

Am I setup correctly? Am I capturing accurate data? Any comments?

--Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The measurement and soundcard cal look just fine, no issues with the measurement setup. Subs look to roll off a little early perhaps, at around 30Hz. To capture graph images click the camera icon top left of the graph and check the posting a graph sticky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help John.

I'm an EQ newb, but early roll off doesn't seem like something that I can fix. Is the early roll off attributed to placement, quality of the sub(s), the AVR or maybe all of the above?

What's the next set of steps towards getting performance? I don't have a PEQ (yet), but I do have an old GEQ. Seems that they're frowned upon around here though.

Being in the front corners, they're not ideally placed according to what I've read.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Placement (of subs and listening position) and the capabilities of the sub are the main factors, getting more low end from placement would mean getting the subs into corners and sitting nearer to a boundary, but as your subs are already in corners it may just be the inherent limits of the subs. Try measuring one of the subs with the SPL meter very close to the sub to see what the sub's capability is (you will need to use a higher range on the meter to prevent clipping, but don't worry about recalibrating the SPL as it is the shape of the curve that is of interest rather than the absolute SPL numbers).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's both subs close mic'd.

closemic.jpg

Some other measurements with subs in front corners, middle front and back, various DSP (PLIIx movie vs. PLIIx music), 60 and 80Hz xover and setting front and center to large.

eq2.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts