Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't post here often, unless I am calibrating my system :D

Your dip at 200hz could also be due to the null from the front wall. This depends on how far you place the speaker from the front wall. The closer the speaker is to the front wall, the higher in frequency the null will be. For example, if your speaker is right up against the front wall such that the drivers are about 1.4' away from the wall, you will get a null around 200hz.

I generally, try to keep my speakers 4' or more from the front wall to minimize this effect.

Of course, i am unfamiliar with your speakers, so the problem could be something else. However, an easy test is to move the speaker further from the front wall for the purpose of testing. If the null moves down in frequency, then you know what is the main cause of the problem.

As per your tweeter's drop off, this might be due to the polar response of your tweeter. You might try toe-ing the speaker in towards the listening position to get closer to an on-axis FR.

Of course, an on axis near field measurement with the speaker away from boundaries could show if any problems might be due to the speaker design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I don't know anything about boundary compensation. I do know that 1120±10 ft/sec (speed of sound) divided by 200hz multiplied by 0.25 (quarter wave length for null) corresponds to how you have to speakers set up.

It could be many things, but to my mind, the main culprit is because 200hz wave going rearwards is canceling the source 200hz wave due to the reflection from the wall behind the speaker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.