Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
For subwoofer plots, always use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - 200Hz) using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW. Use a measurement start frequency of 0Hz and an end frequency of 200Hz. Use the appropriate target line that matches your crossover.

For full range plots, use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - upper limits you desire, i.e. 15KHz -20KHz. Use a full range target line.

For full range only, enable smoothing (1/3 octave) to eliminate the comb filtering.

For waterfalls, best to use the LOG mode rather than the LIN mode using the FreqAxis button in the top right corner of REW.

Hopefully you have used a full range microphone or meter such as the Behringer ECM8000 or the Galaxy CM-140, as Radio Shack meters are not suitable for measurements above 3KHz.

What guidance are you looking for?

brucek

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

So far I have been able to successfully complete the calibration of sound card. I hope the levels are within limits and there is no alert of going beyond the limits while doing the measurements. Just now made the settings change as per your advice. Please have a look.

I own a 5.1 system comprising of 4 definitive tech pro monitor 800s one 1000 for center channel and a Jamo sub. The speakers are highly regarded in the reviews and I feel that I am not getting the right sound. Have been using them for 2 years now driven by a Yamaha RX661. Tried a YPAO auto calibration but its not helping. Now I have come to a stage where I am thinking of a speaker upgrade. But before that I wanted to make sure that its not the room acoustics thats the problem.

Now I have a test set up in guest bedroom with beds and all and in one direction they were sounding decent. Once the whole system is rotated 90 degrees where the sound stage is across the longest wall now its loosing on the bass and the overall image clarity.

The measurements posted are from this room. So far I dont have the Galaxy 140 but will pick one next week. Now I am doing the measurement using the YPAO mike of Yamaha.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Now I am doing the measurement using the YPAO mike of Yamaha.
That's a problem, since you don't have a calibration file for the microphone. This makes an immense difference when trying to measure in the lower bandwidths. The cal files for these mics that come with auto-EQ receivers are embedded in the firmware of the receiver, so you don't have access to them to use with REW. It's not advised to attempt to use a mic with REW without a cal file. Get a meter or mic that has a calibration file.

Your response overall isn't too bad, but as you've offered already, you have very poor bass extension - but this may be as a result of the uncalibrated mic. A new subwoofer might be in order, maybe not. Can't tell without a valid measurement.

You have a couple room peaks at 55Hz and 75Hz that need attending. Either move the sub around or use an equalizer to remove them.

brucek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts