Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to delve into my first sub build, and am ready for some advice. I have an idea on how I would like to approach it, but obviously I'll need that nudge in the right direction...

So the basics:

Room Size - 14X15 w/ 7'ceilings 3' opening to kitchen. (this is living room)
Current speakers - Klipsch RF-3, RC-3, RS-3
Current sub - Klipsch KSW-12 (not working-blown amp for 2nd time)
80% tv/movies 20% music (but just as important to me)

My original idea was to purchase an SVS 20-39PC+, but being a self gratifying kind of guy, I changed that to a DIY project. I have in mind a dual 12" driver sub (sealed or ported). My max box size would be 20"x20"x36" horizontal or vertical. I would prefer to use a single 500w plate amp (OAudio?) Price range: 500-750.

Finished sub will have to be within 4-6 inches of the corner near main listening position.

I've been poking around with WinISD but have yet to fully comprehend it. So I'm still up in the air as far as driver selection and the ported/sealed decision.

Hope that's enough info to get started...
Thanks in advance ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
After this many months I am not sure if you are still interested but...
I would not do 2 12's in that sized box. I would go with either a CSS SDX15 or a Maelstrom-X.

Getting 2 12's to come up with a 4ohm load may not be trivial (4ohm load is pretty much a requirement for a plate amp).

But the real reason I would go with the SDX15 or Maelstrom-X is to keep it simple.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yep... one Maelstrom-X is going to win out... or a pair of Shiva-X 12's, which would actually be a tad less money. Either of those in a 6.5-7ft^3 net volume slot ported box tuned from 15-20Hz would be okay, but you really wouldn't be doing them justice with just 500 watts. That EP2500 could give them 2400 watts into 4 ohms bridged and make them rattle your teeth. :hsd: The EP2500 generally only runs about $300-350. You are talking as much as a 8db difference in output from 20Hz-50Hz just by changing amps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts