Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a HT newbie and have been working on my first screen. I was inspired by the DNP Supernova Blade and Si's Black Diamond Zero Edge. I've got the screen built (yay) and have finished priming with Kilz2, now I need to decide on which grey I'm going to go with. I have a LOT of ambient light to deal with before sundown, afterwards it's significantly reduced but still noticeable. I'm using an Optoma HD131xe PJ throwing a 98" diagonal 16:9 image from 12ish feet. Right now i'm considering Veil (N7.5), Dover Grey (N 7.3), and Granite Grey (N6.7). I'm leaning towards Dover Grey while I wait on test results for Black Widow Ultra using the Granite Grey Base. Any thoughts or feedback are greatly appreciated. I can also post pictures of my set-up if it would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I would get sample cans of each and make small test panels and determine which one would suit your needs best. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a good reading of how much light is hitting your screen as well. According to PJCentral, you would have 26-27 fL using a darker gray paint. I think any one of the tints you listed would work well for you.

Two things you should keep in mind are that the sample cans are satin paint and you shouldn;t compare whites to your Kilz paint.

:T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mechman! From what I've read I think I want a matte finish, will the satin on the test panels still give me an accurate idea of what to expect after painting the whole screen? Or would I be better served by another finish?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question, which Valspar base paint is recommended now that Ultra Premium has been discontinued? Would it be the new Ultra?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts