Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My name is Dave and I've been a casual home theater fan for about 15 years now. I moved into my new house 3 years ago and decided to make home theater more of a priority than in previous homes. My home theater consists of the following:

Onkyo TX-NR1009
PSB Image B6 (L+R)
PSB Image C4
Pioneer S-H152B-K Surrounds
Hsu VTF-2 MK4
Epson 5020UB
DIY 102" Light Fusion Screen

I have been looking into acoustical treatments as the next step as my room is all drywall and hardwood floors with vaulted cielings. I also have an opening on the left side of the room, from the listening position, that is 3/4 the length of the room and opens into another area of the house. I decided the best way to decide if and where I needed room treatments would be to use REW and a MiniDSP mic. So here are my first measurements. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will jump in with the obvious. Your sub level is set too high for the room. I would curious to see your room measurement without the sub.

Also, reset the frequency range of your waterfall to 20,000 Hz. That will provide more insight on room treatment needs in the mid/upper regions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Here are some new graphs. I have the lrc w/o the sub, the individual lrc waterfalls w/o the sub and the sub waterfall. The waterfall above is just the sub which is why I set the limit to 200hz. I turned down the sub for this set of tests. It's on -15db in the receiver and at about a 3 on the sub itself. Hopefully this helps. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry, my mistake on your first waterfall.

Soooo, I would focus on getting your sub balanced. Play with your sub level, crossover freq and perhaps most important, sub location to flatten the full response. I am not an expert but find that you will need to have the lower ranges (say less than 120Hz average higher than the upper frequencies in order for it to sound good. Think of a straight line that tilts from higher at low freq to lower at upper freqs as the direction you want to go. Not perfectly flat. With your -12dB adjustment, you went to far.

Raise yr sub level to -6dB and see how it looks AnD sounds - only testing below ~300Hz. Then try turning your crossover freq down and the. See how that measures and sounds.

There are experts here --- bpape from GIK Acoustics Who can better interpret your upper frequency issues but it looks to me like you have a pretty bright room as demonstrated by the long decay times through 6K Hz (although I am not sure of your axis dimensions, I assume default) GIK can also then provide you with suggested treatments.

Congratulations , you have started the process towards significantly better sound. It is only a matter of patience and some knowledge from the folks here.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Waterfall graphs have no place from 300hz up.
Reduce the scale of the upper frequency to 300hz.
Also reduce to 300-400 ms.
This will give you valuable information.

Use RT60 for higher frequencies above 300hz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts