Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just recently found out about REW from some friends at AVSForum. Kinda interested in this sorta stuff so I downloaded REW and read thru some of the help files. I am not entirely sure I have things setup correctly. I have Soundblaster USB so I followed the example and set my settings to match it.

This is what I came up with...the first is what I get from doing the soundcard cal...the 2nd is a quick measure I did with my SUB....which is ******.... I have new HSU STF2 sub on the way that should get here next week sometime...but I would like to make sure I have REW setup correctly and know how to use it so I am ready.

Is it possible to tell from these 2 pics If I am on doing things correctly?

I really am new to all this.

FYI I am using a RS Digital SPL meter and downloaded the calibration files for it.

The rest of my system:
-H/K 247 AVR
-Klipsch KSF 10.5 mains, C5 center, S1 Surrounds
-****** Sony 8" SUB
-Bass Management has all set to SMALL and XO set to 80hz.

Thanks,

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Everything looks fine to me – except the performance of that sub. :D You’re going to love that Hsu…

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks...I played around more last night trying to see what the different options of REW provide...I think I ended up confusing myself and somehow messed up my cals because now when I try to run measures I get errors about the Impulse peak not being where it supposed to be? I have absolutely no clue what any of that means.

I am going to reset everything re-cal like I did the first time.

I am looking forward to getting the new sub...but my room/apartment is not going to be very friendly because its simply not layed out very well and lots of stuff that will probably interfere...but I should get better than aI am with the Sony sub.

The red #1 & #2 along the top are the only possible locations I have for the new sub...currently have my Sony at #1.

I have tried to decipher what exactly that initial sub measurement I did is telling me about my room and current sub..but again I have no clue...I just know the graph does not look pretty =P

·
Super Moderator
9,262 Posts

I have tried to decipher what exactly that initial sub measurement I did is telling me about my room and current sub..but again I have no clue...I just know the graph does not look pretty
The response graph tells you you’re getting a big peak at ~45 Hz and a null at ~36 Hz with your sub in that location. You’ll probably see the same thing with your new sub at that location, but with better extension below 45 Hz.

The #2 location, is that a corner? You’d probably have much better luck putting the sub there. Normally I’m not of fond of “bass from the rear,” but I’ll take good-quality “bass from the rear” over poor-quality “bass up-front” any day. :D

Regards,
Wayne

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The response graph tells you you’re getting a big peak at ~45 Hz and a null at ~36 Hz with your sub in that location. You’ll probably see the same thing with your new sub at that location, but with better extension below 45 Hz.

The #2 location, is that a corner? You’d probably have much better luck putting the sub there. Normally I’m not of fond of “bass from the rear,” but I’ll take good-quality “bass from the rear” over poor-quality “bass up-front” any day. :D

Regards,
Wayne

Thanks again.

After about 10 tries trying to get whatever I messed up with REW settings corrected...I gave up and went back to version 4.0. Not sure what is up with me using 4.10 but I cannot get any measurements to work...I keep getting messages about level to high...then too low...then peak not being where it supposed to be...

Redid all the cal settings for version 4.0 and was able to get my measurements back.

The HSU is much bigger than the my current sub so putting it in the corner (#2) is probably what I will do...hopefully the response there is a tad better.

I am also getting some noticeable HUM/noise when I have the USB soundcard plugged into the input on the AVR. Gonna try to see if I can isolate what's causing it. I get it from both the SUB and the MAINs....And if I plug the USB soundcard output directly into the SUB I do not get the noise...so its definately something being introduced before the AVR output. My wiring is a rats nest near the AVR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts