Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Very nice thread except after reading the zero tolerance rules I'm afraid to even say aw shucks. :bigsmile:

Very nice forum, I'll do my best to mind my Ps and Qs.

I just shot most of my budget on a gorgeous Panasonic z85u 50" plasma screen and a Samsung P2500 blu ray player. Both are really great, no problems.

I have looked long and hard at Onkyo 6100 and 5100 HTIB systems as I can't go more than $600 for the near future.

My question: can I put together a component system, with all HDMI connections, (right now, just the Blu-Ray and the tv) for $600 that will compete with the 6100? I know the 5100 has HDMI pass through whereas the 6100 has 4 HDMI switching ports but other than that I'm really an amateur :innocent:when it comes to audio.

The other factor is this: for the near future at least, I have this modest little theater of mine in a made-over home office, the dimensions are about 18 x 14, and we've got the tv set up in the forward half, so the couch is 10 feet from the screen. In other words, the "home theater" occupies half of the office, there's another 8 feet or so behind the viewing area (where, nonetheless, I could put rear speakers for a 7.1 system).

Is the 6100 overkill for such a small and modest room? Would I be better off buying better quality components with, say, 5.1 instead of 7.1? I just don't know enough but want to have the best experience I can for now, with an eye to upgrade in the future.

Sorry for the long winded first post, and much obliged for any help and opinions you can share with this bald-faced newbie who dare not say d--- or h---. :whistling:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would say it wouldn't be overkill for the 5100 or the 6100. You can always use the system as 5.1 if you need to for a smaller room. Me personally, I would put 7.1 in the bathroom if the Mrs would let me.

You could always get a good receiver and good pair of bookshelf speakers now and buy the rest of the 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup later when you have more money. That way you would have a really good setup later, and would save some space in your room until you can move all of that useless office stuff out of there. No one needs an office in their house. It keeps too much stress at home. Best stress reliever?? Watching a movie at reference levels with a bunch of friends, after the movie everyone is quiet, and you break the silence by saying, "man, that was cool."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me personally, I would put 7.1 in the bathroom if the Mrs would let me.

:R

That about sums it up for me too! Because there's a lot of bookshelves on three walls, I've got plenty of places to easily place surround and rear speakers. Once I buy this I'm not likely to add to it for awhile, and I want a surround experience right off. I've priced good receivers and they're about what the entire Onkyo system costs so I think I'll pony up and go for that, and add speakers down the road.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
IMO those Onkyo systems are a great choice in your price range :T You get a very good receiver worth almost as much as the HTIB. It comes complete with Audyssey, and is worthy of better speakers and subwoofer if/when you decide to upgrade. And they are definitly NOT overkill for your monitor and source.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I would defiantly go with the 6100, as has been mentioned Onkyo's offer alot for the money and are fully upgradable in the future as they are all separate components with no strange connections like most HTIB systems.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For just about twenty dollars over your budget you can get the onkyo 606 from the shacks store, the entry level Dayton surround speakers from parts express and the Dayton 12" sub from the same place.
Once again, just giving options other than just a straight htib setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Between the two Onkyo options, I suggest going with the 6100 :yes:

You can upgrade speakers later when you have the money, and then sell or use the speakers in another room; or you can start with a receiver and a pair of speakers, you can also look at used to save some money ...:yes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good input. I haven't heard of Dayton speakers, I'll check them out. Also hadn't thought of used.

The 6100 was at $549 for days and days...I hemmed and hawed, decided to go for it...and Vann's and Newegg bumped it up to $599 that day! Drat! I'm wondering whether to wait or just pop the extra $50, I sure want to get some good sound in my room. The Panny's plasma speakers are pretty lame. Plus they seem to have a background buzz when someone with a male/deep voice is talking. Sooner I cut those puppies out of the loop the better.

Much obliged!
:hail:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks salvasol, I should have said $549 at Vann's and Newegg, no tax/free shipping. It's now $599 at those sites. At Amazon it's $673 with those added in. B&H and JR have it at the same price too before tax/ship.

US Appliances has it a bit cheaper than $599 but they're out of stock.:hissyfit:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I think you would be really happy with the 6100 too.

The last time I upgraded I missed an 'opprotunity' too, and it is frustrating. But when you do bite the bullet, even if it is $50 or $100 more, it won't matter to you when you are 'enjoying' your movies. I say, just go for it! :bigsmile:

Man, would I love to have 7.1 in the bathroom! Maybe that should be MY next project.

Jeff Aguilar

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jeff, I did some more checking, read more reviews, and agree with you this is the best setup for me for the near future. The reviews for the unit from every place I found are almost unanimously positive, other than the usual flimsy speaker wire and receiver heat generation. Everything I read confirms the heat is typical for Onkyos, and not a problem. I'll probably get an extended warranty on it, although it comes with 2 years so maybe I'll just ride that one out, as electronics usually fail pretty soon after purchase or hang in there for the long haul. That's the urban myth anyway.

I have a Teac home theater receiver I bought 12 years ago that's still running strong, and a Pioneer 6-disc cartridge CD changer that's connected to it, and I've had that 9 years I think. Never had a problem with either of them.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger on the 6100 at Newegg...they dropped the price to $579 again, so I jumped on it. Can't wait now, I'm pumped!

BTW, Can anyone tell me the name of the device you use to check each speaker? I read that as good as the speaker set up mic that comes with the 6100 is, you can get better results with a hand held thingy that listens to each speaker and gives you an optimal setting readout or something. I actually looked this up, based on a forum recommendation somewhere, but can't remember the name of the thing! It was a hand held device, for about 35 bucks on Amazon, but that's all I remember.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
SPL Meter.

I'll try to pad this post up to 25 words to make it qualifying, but I still come up short. :)

take care,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's it! Thanks Jeff, appreciate it. There's a 25 word minimum on these threads to get credit for a post? What's - to coin the vernacular - up wid dat? :rubeyes: Sounds a bit 1950's repressive, but I'm not saying it is of course because I don't want to get bounced.

I guess I'm up to 25 words now, this is like S&H green stamps, also from the 50s, when I post enough times do I get to retrieve them for a plaid Thermos bottle?:yay:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
My Marantz came with the Audussey to set the speaker distance and levels. I am a firm believer in the Sound Meter. I bought mine maybe 10 years ago from radio shack and still use it all the time. Even after using Audussey, I rechecked it with my sound meter! It was spot on, by the way.

I have also helped many friends set their systems up by bringing the trusty sound meter. I never leave home without it! (When helping friends set their systems up)

Jeff Aguilar

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is new for me, never had the need for one. I could check next time the kids have a party for noise levels, I suppose too.

thanks again Jeff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For just about twenty dollars over your budget you can get the onkyo 606 from the shacks store, the entry level Dayton surround speakers from parts express and the Dayton 12" sub from the same place.
Once again, just giving options other than just a straight htib setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

My current audio blows and I've been going back and forth on recievers for a couple months now. I think I've negotiated an upgrade with the wife when the refund gets here and I'm torn on which direction to go as well.

I'm thinking either the Onkyo 705 or 706 will be the choice on reciever. But my budget is probably shot after that.

I'll check out the Dayton speakers after this post. Hopefully they are bookshelf speakers and not the big bulky things I have in my room now (Bose 401 in the front and 2.2 for the rears).

Are Dayton's decent and cheap? Or just cheap?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Deal is done!!! I went with the Onkyo 706. It should keep me up to speed for a few years (audio format wise) and she'll be more than enough power for this hillbilly's needs.

Ok...that weights off my shoulders now.

Can anyone point me to a decent 7.1 speaker system for around $400 bucks? Bear in mind I'm no audiophile. My only real requirement is front bookshelf speakers.

Would I be better off to go slow and buy quality as I can or just get a decent/good speaker system from the get-go?

Sigh...of to the Shack archives I go. Man! This hobby/obsession is never ending.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Several members have given Yambeka audio speakers a try and like what they hear (for $300 shipped you cant go wrong). Are you sure you cant go with towers in the front? And I would save up for a good quality sub from SVSound, The PB10 NSD would be a great choice!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sadly, yes. I haft to go as unobtrusive (and out of reach of my 4 year-old) as possible. Not to mention my wife's only requirement is that the room doesn't look like Radio Shack (had to negotiate to get my all sports stuff on the walls).

My only choices are bookshelf speakers or in-wall and I definetly don't want to go that route.

Now if they make decent speakers that have dimensions of say 3 inches wide. I can get that on the bench between my shelfs and screen and not care how tall they are.

So...I'm pretty much stuck to keep everything but the sub off the floor.

Thanks for the tip thought. That is the price range I'm looking at.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts