Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all...

My name is adam and I have been ghosting and reading on here for a bit now. I am in the military, so that will affact some of my decisions on a purchase. I have saved a bit of money and want to get myself a nice set-up for when I move to Germany. Here are the dimensions of the room in the house I am looking at:

18' x 28'

Floors are stone, and ceilings about 7'

Property Room Building Ceiling Architecture

Text Font Line Number Screenshot

Since I am in the military, and do not trust military movers with a high dollar screen......I thought about going the route of making my own. Plywood with Goo Systems paint. Is this a good or bad idea in your guys opinions?

The seating would just be a single row, most likely a couch and a recliner. From the picture you can see the sliding door and window, but I plan on blacking those out to the best of my abilities for watching movies(I prefer it dark).

For a projector I was looking at either the DreamVision StarLight1 LCOS Projector or the Runco LS-5 DLP Projector.

So what do you guys think? A bad idea for the Goo Paint Screen? And if it's ok...which projector would be the better choice...considering some light may leak through.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Hello all...

My name is adam and I have been ghosting and reading on here for a bit now.
Welcome to HTS. :wave:

Since I am in the military, and do not trust military movers with a high dollar screen......I thought about going the route of making my own. Plywood with Goo Systems paint. Is this a good or bad idea in your guys opinions?

So what do you guys think? A bad idea for the Goo Paint Screen? And if it's ok...which projector would be the better choice...considering some light may leak through.
Goo is a very bad idea!! Goo is both overpriced and over-hyped for something that cannot compete with regular paint. You can go to the diy screen forum and find cheaper options that perform much better.

Goo Systems Review

·
Registered
35 Posts
have you considered the wilsonart or the blackout curtains option ? In tests several people have remarked that the wilsonart performs very well with almost no color tinting problems and a gain of 1.1-1.2. Since you are with the military if the wilsonart is unavailable, you could consider the BOC (blackout). Cheap, easy to build and should be readily available.

I use a wilsonart with a JVC RS-15 and haven't felt the need for upgrade. Unless you are really finicky, and you calibrate your projector I dont think the BOC will detract from the viewing option at all.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
There are a number of projectors to look at, I personally have the Panasonic PT AE4000 a very good projector. Another is the Epson 8700 both get top marks for brightness and great contrast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to HTS. :wave:

Goo is a very bad idea!! Goo is both overpriced and over-hyped for something that cannot compete with regular paint. You can go to the diy screen forum and find cheaper options that perform much better.

Goo Systems Review

Thank you for the welcome.........and I just finished reading that review. Hmmmmm...back to the drawing borad then...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you considered the wilsonart or the blackout curtains option ? In tests several people have remarked that the wilsonart performs very well with almost no color tinting problems and a gain of 1.1-1.2. Since you are with the military if the wilsonart is unavailable, you could consider the BOC (blackout). Cheap, easy to build and should be readily available.

I use a wilsonart with a JVC RS-15 and haven't felt the need for upgrade. Unless you are really finicky, and you calibrate your projector I dont think the BOC will detract from the viewing option at all.
Whats wilsonart? I think I may need to do a search on here. I was thinking of using blackout cloth(is that the same as the curtains?) until I can figure out a better screen...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
To be truthful, the only issue that anybody has had with it that I am aware of is that because is an LCD based projector its black levels are not as good as a DLP or other technology but I have not one complaint. Its just an amazing picture and even in eco mode is very good. The auto zoom feature is also very nice so if you have a 2,35:1 screen (a 16:9 movie that still has black bars top and bottom) it will eliminate the bars and fill the entire screen with the image. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be truthful, the only issue that anybody has had with it that I am aware of is that because is an LCD based projector its black levels are not as good as a DLP or other technology but I have not one complaint. Its just an amazing picture and even in eco mode is very good. The auto zoom feature is also very nice so if you have a 2,35:1 screen (a 16:9 movie that still has black bars top and bottom) it will eliminate the bars and fill the entire screen with the image. I am very happy with it.
Hmmm...I am starting to lean towards the panasonic then. What's the lamp life like? For a cheap screen, would a blackout curtain work? or would that degrade the picture too much?

·
Registered
35 Posts
> Whats wilsonart? I think I may need to do a search on here.

Wilsonart is a laminate surface- similar to kitchen countertops. Available at Home Depot. lowes etc.

As for teh Bloak cout cloth- these are similar to curtains, but have the plasticky feel to them. use the reverse side- the one thats white. You cant beat it for the price-value and the ease of setup. There are better screens out there, but more expensive. The BOC is a great value.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the new, soon to be discontinued entry level JVC the HD250. I've also heard they are not going to make another entry level projector for a while, so this is a good chance to get a good DILA projector for around $2500 new... There's still a couple new ones on ebay.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
DILA projectors such as the JVC will give better black levels. Its a matter of choice. you cant really go by the spec's as they are subject to so many variables.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's right, even though the 8700ub and the ae4000u have higher rated lumen output, no one watches movies in those dynamic modes, rather the lower lumen output modes. The JVC just has better picture quality in those medium and low modes that most people use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's right, even though the 8700ub and the ae4000u have higher rated lumen output, no one watches movies in those dynamic modes, rather the lower lumen output modes. The JVC just has better picture quality in those medium and low modes that most people use.
Thanks... now the hard part. Trying to find these to demo.
So lumen output and contrast are just numbers with no standard kinda of like output watts on stereos a few years back...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tried for about a year to find the Panasonic ae4000, Epson 8700, and JVC HDA250 to demo. Could not get it done. The Panny has been, and the JVC will be, discontinued. I went with the Epson 8700UB, and i cannot imagine better blacks with the auto iris engaged, although this auto iris is noisy in some units -"one in every thousand" Epson told me, so listen for a sound like a gurgling coffee pot and Epson will replace it painlessly if it does this. Mine had the noisy iris !
Setup is a snap. Selecting THX mode gets you 90% there !
Blacks are so good, you don't even notice the bars, they are that black !
The manual zoom, tilt and focus are a pain even for initial setup. If i needed to change it to anamorphic every once in a while, i would not have bought it. In this regard, the Panny walks all over the Epson - it even has a positional memory I believe.

One knock on the Epson. It is white, which is just plain dumb ! You have to get the dealer only Epson line to get black cases. Mine is mounted on the ceiling at the back of the room, so it is not in my line of sight. A big white box in my peripheral vision would not work !

The JVC I still believe to be the best of these three, but at 600-700 more, I paid for my screen with the difference ! Seymour XD with a home made frame, lets you put your center channel behind the screen. Left and right speakers too if you want.

Epson is still giving an extra lamp ($300 value they say) with purchase, if it matters to you.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
The Panny has been, and the JVC will be, discontinued.
Where did you hear that? :scratch: All projectors are discontinued as new models roll out. But I haven't heard anything from Panasonic about a new projector coming out to replace the AE4000 yet. I'll have to ask them today at their show.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard a while back that Panasonic was not going to replace the Ae4000, which is a 2010 model (or is it 09?)and indeed was rethinking their position with regard to home theater projectors.
I just read on here that JVC was not going to do so with the HD250 either, although surely they cannot ignore having a winner at that price point !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts