Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g161/todd612/Misc/rew_091009.jpg

First time REW user here. I tried hooking up everything according to the guides here in this forum and made my first measurement above. Except I don't think I have my interconnections setup correctly.

My setup:
LINE OUT: ATI 4850 HDMI --> Denon 4306 HDMI --> MFW-15 and front speakers
LINE IN: ASUS motherboard audio line-in R only <-- Radio Shack SPL meter 33-2050

Things I'm confused about:
  • Anything wrong with my setup? i.e., using MB line-in and HDMI out is okay or not?
  • What do I set the range to on RS meter? The other settings are C Weighing and Slow Reponse.
  • My calibrate doesn't work. I run REW and click on Calibrate button. My receiver is off and I get the following VU Meter readings.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g161/todd612/Misc/REWVUMeters.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! You might want to take advantage of our post padding thread. Once you're racked up 5 posts you can upload your pictures to our server when you make a post.

Also, we like to see all graphs scaled to 45-105 dB vertically (your 15-200 Hz horizontal scaling is fine).

Anything wrong with my setup? i.e., using MB line-in and HDMI out is okay or not?
Not okay. You need to use analog for both ins and outs. For one you can't calibrate your sound card any other way - which tells me you probably skipped that step?

What do I set the range to on RS meter? The other settings are C Weighing and Slow Reponse.
Set it for 80 dB, C weighting. Response doesn't matter.

My calibrate doesn't work. I run REW and click on Calibrate button. My receiver is off and I get the following VU Meter readings.
Not sure about that one - brucek will have to tell you. Maybe using the analog only connections will help.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
My calibrate doesn't work. I run REW and click on Calibrate button. My receiver is off and I get the following VU Meter readings.
You need to run the soundcard calibration before connecting anything up.
Connect a single loopback cable from right channel line-out (HDMI not allowed) to right channel line-in .
Run your soundcard calibrate routine and save the file and point REW to it.

Remove the loopback cable - (that right channel is now the calibrated channel you'll use). The left channel is not used.
Connect right line-out to your receiver and connect the SPL meter to right line-in......

Check Levels.
Calibrate SPL
Measure.......

brucek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. Here's what I did so far now...

Using the ATI HDMI output on my graphics card was bad. And I didn't have the latest audio drivers installed. I was using the default Windows 7 drivers. On top of that, I was using a bad cable and the default audio settings had feedback loop.

Okay, here's my first real measurement:

soundcard loopback calibration:

checking out calibration reference graph:

Does this look right, now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, my setup is working now. But how do I interpret the graphs? e.g., I got a couple of dips at 50Hz and 80Hz. What does that mean? How to correct it? etc. Any guide or further reading on this? And I don't mean to become an expert but just to understand the basics on how to read the graphs and then correct or treat my setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.