Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed my first REW tests. It looks to me that my major problems are the 2 nulls at 90 and 500 (with maybe a whole other bunch of problems) and the bass ringing <80 on the waterfall chart. I could be COMPLETELY off, so any feedback is welcomed. Any ideas? I know my gear is not that great, just wondering if there is anything I can do. Am I even looking at the right things?

Was thinking of getting two bass traps for the back 2 corners from ceiling down 4 feet to help the waterfall. Was thinking the GIK 244 bass trap with the range limiter.

I am new to REW so I included everything I could think of. I am more of a NAS, scripting, making stuff out of wood, custom theater video intro guy - this is way beyond my pay grade so ANY help, suggestions, criticisms welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

Some other background info
- There are 5 homemade acoustic panels (2'x4'x4" with Roxul) 2 printed as movie posters 3 as black
- There is a riser that the back couch sits on that is 13" high
- The area that is shaded dark brown in the floor plan has a 10" shorter ceiling (has to do with the entrance from outside the theater room)
- REW Measurements are from listening position using a UMIK-1 at 90 degrees with the 90 degree calibration file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
1. Awesome room man! Looks great and is very cozy feeling. Love the colors and overall appearance.
2. Just for sanity checks you can check the graph at 1/3 smoothing which simulates what your ears will percieve. I do this to help me dial in curves better.
3. Looking at the image I've attached you should try out a curve more like what I drew in and listen and see what you think. This is of course all personal preference but I think your a tad hot on the midbass range and your 6-9k could go down a tad imho.
4. If you add treatments try to locate these reflection points and get them under the blue line. Doing this will really help improve SS&I.

Remember you should test 40db above room noise floor to get a really good understanding of decay (waterfall/spectrogram). What I do is run a simple test of any speaker but at a very low volume level like 40db and record the results and analyze them.... use the waterfall select a range out to 1500ms and then you can see where your room noise sits. Raise the volume so your 40db above this and this is where you want to test at.

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for replying and the ideas. I have a couple questions:
3. Looking at the image I've attached you should try out a curve more like what I drew in and listen and see what you think. This is of course all personal preference but I think your a tad hot on the midbass range and your 6-9k could go down a tad imho.
How can I do this? My receiver just has AccuEQ (not even audyssey) which just does distance and sound levels of the speakers. Do I need to buy something to tweak the individual frequencies? Is it just adjust db levels on individual speakers on a trial/error or adjust Volume or crossover on the sub?
4. If you add treatments try to locate these reflection points and get them under the blue line. Doing this will really help improve SS&I.
First, 2 quick questions for the noob in me: What is SS&I and what chart is that so that I can see if anything I do has any effect. Now, to try to find these is it just start moving stuff around until I find it or is there some better way?
Remember you should test 40db above room noise floor to get a really good understanding of decay (waterfall/spectrogram). What I do is run a simple test of any speaker but at a very low volume level like 40db and record the results and analyze them.... use the waterfall select a range out to 1500ms and then you can see where your room noise sits. Raise the volume so your 40db above this and this is where you want to test at.
I will be doing this soon. Thanks for the tip, I was just keeping the heat and everything off and seeing what REW showed and the SPL meter. Thank you again

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
SS&I is soundstage and imaging. This may or may not be such a huge issue for you but removing thoste spots within the first 5ms are key and really make a dramatic affect on the sound of your speaker system. Those are your problem spots and MOST of the time are the first reflection waves which can be found using the mirror trick. Sit at the MLP and have someone run a mirror along the wall until you can physically see the tweeter of the speaker and place a 2x4 or 4x4 of 2" or 4" thick absorption panel and this will yield the biggest results possible.

If you don't have any EQ then don't worry about it. Correct the levels and distances and call it good. You can negate some of that by speaker placement. Closer to wall and your bass area increases... away from wall and it levels out. Peaks and nulls will change with speaker placement.... the same as your main listening spot... move it around and all your test results change. You can literally move a speaker 1" and will get different results.

I still really like that room. One thing to ponder about would be to wall in where the column is creating a flush wall in the theater room so then you can have a lobby area in the adjacent space for bar/popcorn/drinks etc... oh man that would be ultimate. Would help the make the space a bit smaller in the theater so the subs work better too.

Overall without EQ your looking pretty good on the response. Waterfall/spectrograph would be better to say how things look by playing a big louder for a true 40db loss to room noise floor... and maybe you do not sure. This is why I said check it first so you know. Your room could be uber quiet and IF that is the case well then some corner bass traps would help alot.

·
Registered
363 Posts
(...)

(...)
!
Thanks for the images it helps to understand and to learn...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts