Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I played around with REW for a couple of hours and can't seem to get the measurements to smooth out. Attached is the measurements of both my subs together hooked up to only one channel of the BFD, but in BYPASS mode (no filter). How does it look? Is it pretty bad? Now if the subs are only going to be playing frequencies 80hz and lower, do we need to set the end frequencies out to 200hz or will setting it to 80hz is okay? Another question, I've read about calibration files for the radio shack SPL meter (model 33-4050), okay, I see it and downloaded it, but haven't done anything with it. Where do I enter the compensation value? Or do I need it at all? Thought I read it somewhere that you don't need it if you're using REW to take your measurements, but can't remember where I read it or was it just part of my imagination and confusion from all the readings. Also, we only have 12 filters to play with per channel if we're only using either the left or the right channel, correct?

Thanks, TwinDragon

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Now if the subs are only going to be playing frequencies 80hz and lower, do we need to set the end frequencies out to 200hz or will setting it to 80hz is okay?
Yes, you need the end frequency to be 200Hz. The crossover setting of 80Hz isn't a brick wall. You can see how the sub show trail off by observing the target line on the graph for 80Hz (presuming that you have it set at 80Hz). If the sub doesn't track the target line, then the mains may not mix properly over the crossover area.

Be sure you're running REW through your receiver with the crossovers set.

but haven't done anything with it. Where do I enter
The Meter calibration file is pointed to in REW by browsing to the file location on the Settings page.

Thought I read it somewhere that you don't need it if you're using REW to take your measurements, but can't remember where I read it or was it just part of my imagination
The file is very much needed....

we only have 12 filters to play with per channel if we're only using either the left or the right channel, correct?
12 filters for each channel of the BFD.

Hopefully you have read and are familiar with the REW HELP files.

brucek

1 - 2 of 2 Posts