Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I did the setup for the mic and the sound card. I then ran my sub only at 80hz and here is my first try. Can you tell me how this looks and what needs to be done?

Thanks Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You're going to have to move your sub around the room a bit to try and smooth that response out. It doesn't look too good where it is.

brucek

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is showing two tempest X subs. I don't have the ability to move the subs as they are built into my front walls. There is one sub on each side of the front stage. Should I run them seperate and see how they look?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I ran a few test this morning running both subs at different Hz levels and in different phases. Here is the best that I could come up with. Two subs at 100hz reverse phase. Both subs are being driven by a Europower EP2500 amp so not sure if I can do anything with the amp to help change this. Give me some feedback please. Also here is a pic of the front of my room so you can see that I am not able to move the subs.

Thanks Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Give me some feedback please
One of the best things for in wall IB mounts is to first check out the locations acoustically.

That is not a good response. It is not equalizable in my opinion.

Try one IB at a time and see if either is the culprit, or is it only when they play together that the trouble begins.

brucek

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a breakdown using 100HZ

Red = Speaker only at 100hz

Green = Sub only at 100hz phase reverse

Blue = Both sub and speakers at 100hz

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
A few points.

Changing phase on a speaker when it's playing alone is like asking what the sound of one hand clapping is..... it's absolutely meaningless. Phase only has an effect when two speakers are playing together. It is their phase relative to the other that creates cancellations or reinforcements.

Here is a breakdown using 100HZ
I have no idea what this means? Can you explain this statement?

brucek

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I set my receiver at cross over point of 100Hz and did the test above using just my subs, just my speakers and then the combination off both speaker and subs and that was the results that I had obtained

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are a few pics. One of the front of the room and the second with the covers off showing the main front speaker and sub. This is the right side of the room and the left is the same way.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Aesthetically it is lovely. But you couldn't have chosen a worse method for mounting both the sub and mains than you have I'm afraid. Speakers need room to operate. They need space between them and the surrounding walls. There is very little that can be done to correct your response without some major reworking, in my opinion.

brucek

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I double checked my setting for my receiver to make sure my mains were set correctly and ran it again. The main speakers are 8" drivers and here is the results again.

Blue = Speaker
Green = Both
Red = Sub

Knowing that I can't move the speakers and subs what changes can I do with what I currently have? My main concern is the subs. In additon I am able to change the following for each main front speaker. Would this help out at all to make some changes on my main speakers? Also being that I am new to this what am I looking at in regards to what would be called a good curve in regards to the subs, mains and combination?

This is what I can adjust on my mains

Freq
Q
Band

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts