Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to build a sub enclosure for my 7.1 surround setup I am doing in my living room (14'x17.5'x7.5'). My Sony WX-700 sub burnt up (its a 2 10" driver model 250W) around the end of October. I tried replacing the capacitors and resistors that I could find were blown, but I got no where.

I have about $300 to spend on a build, but I DO have 2 JL Audio subwoofers 10W0-4's that I was thinking of using? I am hoping to jump into the world of subwoofer DIY builds...sucessfully, so I am coming to you guys for advice.

I was orginally looking at some kits and wasn't happy with their quality to price. So I began looking and ran into this site just after Thanskgiving. In short, I know enough to be dangerous!

I was looking at the BASH AMPs and possibly using the Sony's enclosure. However, I can get a far superior AMP for a few bucks more and one that allows me to upgrade later (ie. EP2500 ~$260), and I'm certain the Sony enclosure is too small (14.75" cube inside demensions), or what would be ideal for my space/drivers, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:
- Are the JLs okay to use/ start off with?
- What type of enclosure/size?
- AMP?
- Missing anything?

The room is approx. 14x17.5' with 7.5' cielings. I have an ONKYO SR-706 receiver with Polk RM7 center, Jensen JP1500 fronts and Jensen Champion 990 surround speakers (side and back). Not the greatest I know...

As for useage, I would say we watch about 25% Sporting events, 60% movies and the rest music.

One last thing about me: I have a full woodworking shop

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello,

I am looking to build a sub enclosure for my 7.1 surround setup I am doing in my living room (14'x17.5'x7.5'). My Sony WX-700 sub burnt up (its a 2 10" driver model 250W) around the end of October. I tried replacing the capacitors and resistors that I could find were blown, but I got no where.

I have about $300 to spend on a build, but I DO have 2 JL Audio subwoofers 10W0-4's that I was thinking of using? I am hoping to jump into the world of subwoofer DIY builds...sucessfully, so I am coming to you guys for advice.

I was orginally looking at some kits and wasn't happy with their quality to price. So I began looking and ran into this site just after Thanskgiving. In short, I know enough to be dangerous!

I was looking at the BASH AMPs and possibly using the Sony's enclosure. However, I can get a far superior AMP for a few bucks more and one that allows me to upgrade later (ie. EP2500 ~$260), and I'm certain the Sony enclosure is too small (14.75" cube inside demensions), or what would be ideal for my space/drivers, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:
- Are the JLs okay to use/ start off with?
- What type of enclosure/size?
- AMP?
- Missing anything?

The room is approx. 14x17.5' with 7.5' cielings. I have an ONKYO SR-706 receiver with Polk RM7 center, Jensen JP1500 fronts and Jensen Champion 990 surround speakers (side and back). Not the greatest I know...

As for useage, I would say we watch about 25% Sporting events, 60% movies and the rest music.

One last thing about me: I have a full woodworking shop

Thanks in advance!
You can get one of these off ebay for around $175 and an O Audio 500w amp for $229. One of the designers is a moderator here (avaserfi).

Build design
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45528

Amp
http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

However, the enclosure looks to be for a 12" single driver. I have 2 10" drivers atm, or are these insuficient? This is exactly the type of thing I am looking for though

I would also need to double these if I were to use them (they are only 4 ohms), and would need an enclosure to handle them. More info HERE

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Are the JLs okay to use/ start off with?
That depends what your expectations are. Shown is the SPL graph of the pair in 5 cu.ft. tuned to 24 hz. (or each sub in a 2.5 cu.ft. box tuned to 24 hz.) As you can see SPL drops fairly fast below 30 hz. With the limited Xmax of 8.6 mm input power is limited to 200 watts for maximum excursion to be reached. A subsonic filter is a must at 20 hz or these subs will bottom out. I have no doubt this would outperform your Sony sub, but if you want 20 hz SPL for a HT experience you should consider some other option. If you don't mind building a cabinet, give it a shot and see if you like the results. You can upgrade if it's not what you're looking for.

JL 10.JPG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info Thanks!

But this is where I get a bit lost:
With the limited Xmax of 8.6 mm input power is limited to 200 watts for maximum excursion to be reached. A subsonic filter is a must at 20 hz or these subs will bottom out.
I understand that these drivers are not great, and it sounds as though I should consider a better single/2-driver option? Would you have any suggestions given my budget of $300 for the Driver and an Amp?

The cabinet is no cost for me.

BTW - Great software, I was playing with it too, but I couldn't get the best results until I saw your values. I am however, a bit confused on the "End Corection" ? I realize that this should be a larger opening on the inside end, but the values are for length (ie. 0.7"), which isn't much, but no mention of how large it should be...?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Low cost, big sound usually means a large ported box. Any size restrictions?
Not really, but I have a space that would be ideal in that it would remain hidden (behind corner of sectional).

It measures: (wxhxd) 2.5'x3'x2'

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just read Pearless XXLS 12 Build, and although there is a lot of 'extra' stuff listed here for pairing with front speakers, this is close to my general budget I think???

Pearless Driver ~$200
O Audio Bash 500 Amp ~$200

Ideally I would want something below $300, but this may not be practicle...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for JL drivers and 2 10s in a ported box would make a great first DIY project.
The project would outperform your original subwoofer by miles and provide you with lots of hours of build and modeling experience, useful for your NEXT project . . . . the 4 X 18" LLT giant which will leave you with only standing room in the HT area. :dumbcrazy:

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
2.5'x3'x2' will give an internal volume of 12.3 cu.ft. That's more then enough room for a Mach 5 Audio MJ-18M which is $155 shipping included.

http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=182