Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP!

I've installed the latest software and bought a Creative Sound Blaster X Fi sourround 5.1 external sound card. I'm using my RS Digital SPL and my laptop. I've been able to get through the sound card calibration and check levels on my main speakers. When I check the levels on the subs though I get a level too low. I adjust the volume and nothing I do seems to help.

Now it's all messed up and I'm getting really frustrated as I can't get anything to work properly.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Has your laptop got a proper soundcard installed that has "line" input not a "mic" input?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You have to begin with a soundcard calibration before ever connecting an SPL meter.

Connect a single cable from right channel line-out to right channel line-in (using appropriate stereo adapters to break out the right and left channels). The left channel is not used.

Run the soundcard calibration routine and lets see the graph.

BTW, set you graph to LOG and not LIN (as you have it).

brucek

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to begin with a soundcard calibration before ever connecting an SPL meter.

Connect a single cable from right channel line-out to right channel line-in (using appropriate stereo adapters to break out the right and left channels). The left channel is not used.

brucek
brucek

I am going to show you the card cal file. How do I set the graph to LOG?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

brucek
Is this the LOG? Here is the sound card cal...I just re did it as well. I don't have to do this everytime I use REW though. right? I used the cal I did yesterday....we'll start fresh.:bigsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
How do I set the graph to LOG?
Click the Freq Axis icon button in the top right hand corner of REW.

Is this the LOG?
hehe, no that's LINear. Don't you remember what LOG paper looked like in math class? :)

I don't have to do this everytime I use REW though. right?
No, and I'm afraid you haven't been successful this time.

Have you read the REW HELP files and the REW Cabling and Connections Basics.

Also note the REW information Index and the Download Page.

brucek

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Click the Freq Axis icon button in the top right hand corner of REW.

hehe, no that's LINear. Don't you remember what LOG paper looked like in math class? :)

No, and I'm afraid you haven't been successful this time.

Have you read the REW HELP files and the REW Cabling and Connections Basics.

Also note the REW information Index and the Download Page.

brucek
I have attached the same in a LOG...

I have read everything that you have listed as well as other posts. That's why I'm here. I don't know why I'm struggling so bad but I am. Very frustrating..:wits-end:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I'd like to see if the card is actually being recognized by REW.

Can you pull down the Output and Input Device Lists and actually select your card, and then select the line-out speaker and the line-in?

Here's an example of my Envy24 card with all the other correct settings. You can see once I select the cards that nothing is grayed out...

settings.jpg

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
yes, I can see all of that...
Can you show me the Settings page with all that set ?......

how are you posting that page
Place the mouse over the page of interest and select ALT plus PrtScr keyboard keys.
That copies the screen to the clipboard.
Start Windows Paint and Paste the clipboard to the app.
Save as a jpg of the correct size and post.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I suppose it must auto detect then.....

OK, all that seems fine then.

Let's carry on.

Tell me about the connection from line-out to line in that you're using to do the soundcard cal routine.

Do you have 1/8" stereo plugs that splits the right and left channels out, and then you connect a single cable from the line-out right to the line-in right?

brucek

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I suppose it must auto detect then.....

OK, all that seems fine then.

Let's carry on.

Tell me about the connection from line-out to line in that you're using to do the soundcard cal routine.

Do you have 1/8" stereo plugs that splits the right and left channels out, and then you connect a single cable from the line-out right to the line-in right?

brucek
I'm using a Y 1/8" plug on one end and RCA (L&R) on the other. but I'm only using the R ch wire. It is a loop on the sound card.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts