Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is what I got after hooking everything up and running the software. Can someone tell me if this looks correct? I want to buy a BFD if I am using this software correctly.

See the graph below please.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Can someone tell me if this looks correct?
If your soundcard calibration routine executed properly and you were able to take a measure from 0-20K of the loopback cable and it returned a flat line, then it's good.

Please post graphs instead of data... :)

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I figured out how to post the graph to this site. Can someone tell me there thoughts on what I have here. I hooked the computer into my receiver through aux ran the subwoofer calibration tones and used a radio shack spl meter for a mic. My next question is going to be how can I test each of my speakers and do I need to buy the BFD to do that? I know to run filters and make changes I do, just not sure if I have to have it to test each speaker right now?

Where do you buy the BFD online?

Thanks
graph1.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Can someone tell me there thoughts on what I have here.
You'll have to tell us what we're looking at first.

Is it sub only or sub + mains?

What is the crossover used - you haven't displayed the target line?

My next question is going to be how can I test each of my speakers and do I need to buy the BFD to do that?
A BFD is a parametric equalizer placed between the receiver and subwoofer. It has nothing to do with testing speakers.
To test other than the mains and/or sub, generally people will feed REW into a left or right receiver AUX or CD input and then connect the appropriate speaker they want to test to that amplifier output, one at a time...

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,257 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, golfman!

Can someone tell me there thoughts on what I have here.
Well, it’s not bad really. Your sub has great extension down to at least 20 Hz (you might want to extend the graph limits out to 10 Hz to see how low it really goes). Response between 90-20 Hz is in an 8 dB window. That’s unusually good for unequalized response. A BFD could make a noticeable improvement, but probably not a drastic improvement. The best improvement you’d probably get with it would be dialing in a house curve, if you feel you need one.

Where do you buy the BFD online?
Google “behringer feedback destroyer” and you’ll get plenty of hits.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
]Sorry about that. The test was done with all speakers stereo, I hooked up to the receiver through the aux port. The sub crossover is 80hz. The receiver is an onkyo 706 and the audessy eq is enabled. I ran a new test with a target line and filters. I had some trouble with clipping. I tried several things but it still clips at the end. The headroom goes red and 0.0 db. Any help with level adjustments would be great.

Can I just hook the computer to the sub directly and bypass the receiver, also do I have to unhook each speakers that I dont want to test from my receiver?
graph3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I tried several things but it still clips at the end. The headroom goes red and 0.0 db. Any help with level adjustments would be great.
Turn down your line-in level to REW.

The test was done with all speakers stereo
All speakers? When we test with REW, it's either sub only (with the mains disconnected), or sub plus mains (always with the receiver in two channel stereo only with no soundfields enabled).

also do I have to unhook each speakers that I dont want to test from my receiver?
Yes, but in stereo, only the two mains will be engaged - disconnect them.

Can I just hook the computer to the sub directly and bypass the receiver
Yes, but to what end? You will not have the crossover/base management from the reciever that will be present when your system is used normally.

Please explain graph 1 with all the filters after the crossover used? If this is a sub only, why is the sub not tracking down the crossover on its own. It looks like the mains are still active?

REW tip: there is a sort button on the filters popup to sort filters from 1 to 12..

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where is the line in level located in the rew. I have just been turning down the speaker output on the computer? When I do this it effects my SPL Meter and it know longer is reading at 75 db. Is this correct? I will try to test again with just two channel stereo and the subs. All the speakers are still active in that graph. I will retest and post again. Thank you for all your help so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a new test I ran, I think I fixed some of my earlier problems with the test. This is stereo mains and the 2 subs. I lowered the midi input from this macbook so there is no more clipping on the test. I set my receiver to reference volume when I ran this test, so had to calibrate the SPL meter to 88db. I think this is correct. If I missed anything please advise. I ran filters and optimize the PK and Q. Please let me know what you think?
graph5.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Where is the line in level located in the rew. I have just been turning down the speaker output on the computer? When I do this it effects my SPL Meter and it know longer is reading at 75 db. Is this correct?
When you execute the Check Levels routine in the Settings screen, you set the sweep level to -12db, and then your receivers volume control is set to get 75dBSPL on the SPL meter at the listening position. Then the input level is set to get about -12dB on the REW SPL VU meter using the Input Volume control (that's the line-in level).

When that's complete, run the Calibrate SPL routine and set to 75dB.

Please let me know what you think?
Test from 0Hz - not 20Hz in the Measure screen.

midi input
Huh?

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran the tests as you said here is the results. Also the audio midi properties is where I can control the macbook line in.
graph7.jpg

This is the same test but with the audessy EQ built into the onkyo turned off.
graph8.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Also the audio midi properties is where I can control the macbook line in.
Ahh, OK... I'm not a Mac guy......

This is the same test but with the audessy EQ
Yeah, your plots look fine. There is some debate about how to use Audessy with a BFD, but in my opinion the best results appear to be from running the Audessy first, and then cleaning it up with a BFD....

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the FBQ2496 and the uno midi cable today. Be here in two days. Thanks for all the help on getting this test setup correctly brucek.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Be sure to select the FBQ equalizer in the REW pulldown, and not the BFD 1124. The filters are different..... :)

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will. Thank you. I choose that model based off some of the research here on the forum, that it will work better with midi connection than the 1124. This is correct?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
it will work better with midi connection than the 1124. This is correct?
No, not really. The 1124 had a bad firmware program at one point, but that's long been fixed. It acts the same as the 2496 in that regard.

The 2496 has slightly better specs, but not as much selection possibilities over the higher filters. It also doesn't have the multiple programs that the 1124 has.

Either way, the BFD and FBQ are both fine....

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, thanks. Based off my graph it looks like I am getting bass all the way down to 15hz. Is that correct, or based off the lower SPL reading it won't be noticeable in movies?

I am trying to download the .cal file for my RS meter but the files aren't pulling up for download. Any thoughts?

Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I am trying to download the .cal file for my RS meter but the files aren't pulling up for download. Any thoughts?
I don't know what pulling up means?

Just click on the .cal file of choice and save it to a location of choice in your computer.

Then point to it with REW...

brucek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about that, mac doesn't have a program to open it, so it looks like it didn't download to the computer. I checked my downloads and it did. I set it up in REW already. Thank you. I hate MAC, but its the only laptop we have that has a sound card to use the REW software. Any comments on my subs getting bass response down to 15hz. That seems good to me since I see other sub graphs on this site that don't look like their subs will play that low?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
When you make a measurement that includes your main speakers change the "speaker type" in the target settings to "full range", that will give you a flat line as the target - the target line which tracks the subwoofer crossover response is only for use when measuring the sub on its own.

The output from the sub at 15Hz is down quite a bit, with your EQ turned on it is good down to just below 20Hz.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts