Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few graphs from my setup. I am wondering about the variations below the 25.6 mark. Is this due subwoofer not responding to frequencies that low? This was on a 0-200hz sweep using an RS mic.

Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR354
Subwoofer - Atlantic Technology 422 SB (sealed 12")
LCR - Atlantic Technology FS3200 On-Wall
Ambient Noises - Living next to a South Florida highway doesn't help at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! This is one of the most interesting forums I have run across and the information in here is very satisfying!

For the next step, should I consider upgrading the subwoofer or throw in a BFD and work more with what I already have? What should I expect for adding in a subwoofer EQ?

I forgot to mention, the subwoofer is currently firing towards the patio doors. When I had it firing towards the sofa, I found that the bass was louder in the other areas of the apartment.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
should I consider upgrading the subwoofer or throw in a BDF and work more with what I already have? What should I expect for adding in a subwoofer EQ?
The spec on your sub is 25Hz +/-3dB, so you're getting what the sub was designed to accomplish. A BFD will not realize you any extra usable extension (can't get blood from a stone). The BFD will equalize out any modal peaks you may have - and in your case the response is quite good except for a small peak at ~50Hz. Placement may well alleviate that peak, or a BFD could also clear it up.

If you're satisfied with your extension, then that's fine, but most people would want a sub that digs quite a bit deeper than that, especially for movies..... Also remember, that you cannot use your present sub if you add a better sub - because I know that's what's on your mind... :)

brucek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.