Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few graphs from my setup. I am wondering about the variations below the 25.6 mark. Is this due subwoofer not responding to frequencies that low? This was on a 0-200hz sweep using an RS mic.

Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR354
Subwoofer - Atlantic Technology 422 SB (sealed 12")
LCR - Atlantic Technology FS3200 On-Wall
Ambient Noises - Living next to a South Florida highway doesn't help at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I am wondering about the variations below the 25.6 mark.
The 25Hz is the low end extension of your subwoofer. Once the signal gets into the noise, REW will show random results. You can ignore it.

brucek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! This is one of the most interesting forums I have run across and the information in here is very satisfying!

For the next step, should I consider upgrading the subwoofer or throw in a BFD and work more with what I already have? What should I expect for adding in a subwoofer EQ?

I forgot to mention, the subwoofer is currently firing towards the patio doors. When I had it firing towards the sofa, I found that the bass was louder in the other areas of the apartment.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
should I consider upgrading the subwoofer or throw in a BDF and work more with what I already have? What should I expect for adding in a subwoofer EQ?
The spec on your sub is 25Hz +/-3dB, so you're getting what the sub was designed to accomplish. A BFD will not realize you any extra usable extension (can't get blood from a stone). The BFD will equalize out any modal peaks you may have - and in your case the response is quite good except for a small peak at ~50Hz. Placement may well alleviate that peak, or a BFD could also clear it up.

If you're satisfied with your extension, then that's fine, but most people would want a sub that digs quite a bit deeper than that, especially for movies..... Also remember, that you cannot use your present sub if you add a better sub - because I know that's what's on your mind... :)

brucek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts