Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Is it ok to fit FI Q18's into 25mm mdf using 30 hex bolts and T nuts. I forgot to double up on my inner panels for them.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

Thanks for that. Getting a bit paranoid. I was just going to use screws but figured t nuts would be better. I read somewhere that you have to hammer in the tnuts. Can you just put the bolt in and screw in the nut until it is tight in the wood. The guy from FI over here in the UK suggested glueing in the T nuts because they can fall out.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Yes, definitely glue the T-nuts. They don't grab very well in MDF. I always glue a 1/4" thick piece of plywood to the MDF where the T-nut will be, they grab much better in plywood. You can see what I mean in the second and third pics here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-ported/8554-mach-5-audio-ixl-18-4-build.html

Install the T-nut and glue around the perimeter. Run the bolt through the T-nuts before you install them to make sure none are cross threaded. You don't want to find that out after they are installed. When installing the bolts don't push hard of the screw driver, let the bolt pull itself through the T-nut.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,

Thanks for your help mate. Nipping out today to get some bits. I will see if I can get some off cuts of ply.

cheers again.

Graham

1 - 5 of 5 Posts