Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh yeah...got another question. What's good to use in the way of non-collapsable flex duct for porting? I've got to get 3 - 3 inch ports @ 59.5 inches each into a 2 cubic foot box...:dizzy:

Warmon -

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see what y'all are saying - "think outside the box". Actually, I saw the "sidewinder" the other day and it did make me think about the possibilities. Still, I wonder if something like low density polyethylene flex tubing would work. The downside is it has ridges inside and is expensive in small quantity. This stuff is like vacuum cleaner hose, but bigger.

Warmon -

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The downside
You would also have to subtract the volume of that massive snake of tubing to arrive at a much smaller working volume, which would upset the tune - so then you'd have to make the box bigger to adjust back to your desired tune.

brucek

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would also have to subtract the volume of that massive snake of tubing to arrive at a much smaller working volume, which would upset the tune - so then you'd have to make the box bigger to adjust back to your desired tune.
brucek
Interesting response - same with the rigid pipe...right? I've had to figure out the volume of the ports to make the box bigger. I can't help but think that all that mass in there effects turbulence in some way. I agree, build the box, take the ports outside and if you don't want to see them, enclose them in a second box.

Warmon -

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing I would like to get your take on. Somewhere else [escapes me right now] I read that when all the models suggest port volume is equal to or greater than Vb + speaker volume, then its time to consider a passive radiator. Do you agree with that?

In my case, Vb is .767 cf with two drivers - the box needs to be .959 cf. Add the 3 three inch dia ports @ 59.5 inches [.994 cf] and its at 1.953. This is to tune .767 cf to 34.75 hz.

Warmon -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts