Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good set of floor standing speakers. I was considering DIY statements but I don't want to have to build everything so I'm going to do manufacturer built speakers. I want a whole 7.1 setup and want everything to match. So I'm going to start with the mains. I've been leaning toward the B&W CM9 towers. They seem to have gotten good reviews in-spite of some complaints on the midrange section at times. I was wondering if there's anything better for that $3,000 price tag. I'm also looking for a somewhat elegant look to it as well. But if the sound quality surpasses then I won't mind. My room size is 17' x 17'. Thank you for your help. Once I've decided on the mains I'll get the matching center speaker.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
CM9 is a really nice speaker. In that price range, I would also suggest listening to the PSB Synchrony One and Two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm looking for a good set of floor standing speakers. I was considering DIY statements but I don't want to have to build everything so I'm going to do manufacturer built speakers. I want a whole 7.1 setup and want everything to match. So I'm going to start with the mains. I've been leaning toward the B&W CM9 towers. They seem to have gotten good reviews in-spite of some complaints on the midrange section at times. I was wondering if there's anything better for that $3,000 price tag. I'm also looking for a somewhat elegant look to it as well. But if the sound quality surpasses then I won't mind. My room size is 17' x 17'. Thank you for your help. Once I've decided on the mains I'll get the matching center speaker.
These are getting rave reviews...

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

Jeff

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your recommendations. Unfortunately there are not a lot of home audio stores here for me to audition. I have heard the cm9 and martin logan electrostatics and i really liked the cm9's. Did not care much for the martin's. My ear isnt all that picky so probably all your suggestions will surpass my expectations. I do like the look of the ascend towers. Was also considering on getting the Rythmik servo subwoofer kits to go with whatever i choose. Run 2 of the 12" sealed versions. Ill check out the others you posted an maybe find what i want. A good center channel is also a big deal to me and would like for the whole front stage to match. And im a sucker for piano gloss black.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whats your thoughts on the definitive technology mythos sts? Ive heard them only once while walking by but for the brief time i heard them i was impressed. But it was a wide open area and didn have the chance to see how the bass output of them are. Or how they do at higher volumes.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Did you listen to the electro-motion Martin Logan's in a Magnolia Home Theater? Is so they were likely setup wrong. They should have been pulled out a couple feet from the wall and towed in just slightly (google Martin Logan flashlight trick). You should give the theos and the motion20/40s a try IMO they are a much better option then the electro-motion speakers. That said I'll take the BW over DefTech.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The martin logans i listened too were the ones at the magnolia store. They were away from the wall quite a bit. I mean they sounded pretty good but they had to use a subwoofer to get any decent bottom end. Im fully aware you get mostly upper mids n highs from the electrostatic speakers. But for $2,000 a piece i was just expecting a bit more. So you would recommend the B&W CM9 over deftech Mythos ST or there 8080st?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
BuddahX said:
The martin logans i listened too were the ones at the magnolia store. They were away from the wall quite a bit. I mean they sounded pretty good but they had to use a subwoofer to get any decent bottom end. Im fully aware you get mostly upper mids n highs from the electrostatic speakers. But for $2,000 a piece i was just expecting a bit more. So you would recommend the B&W CM9 over deftech Mythos ST or there 8080st?
Yes the BW have much more natural sound IMO. I work for geeksquad and have much experience with BW, DefTech, ML and would tell you the theos do not need a sub in two channel. The sub is really only needed for ultra low frequencies and to support the center surround speakers. Give a listen to the motion 40s. Your store should have just gotten them in in the last week or so.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks. When i go back ill listen to the motion 40's. I was there today and was able to listen to the Def Tech bp-8020st and i really thought they sounded good. No body was there to help me so i wasnt able to listen to the BW CM9 towers. I dont really have a hi fidelity ear so i dont think i need anything to overly expensive. But i do want a quality product and a nice n elegant design.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok thanks. When i go back ill listen to the motion 40's. I was there today and was able to listen to the Def Tech bp-8020st and i really thought they sounded good. No body was there to help me so i wasnt able to listen to the BW CM9 towers. I dont really have a hi fidelity ear so i dont think i need anything to overly expensive. But i do want a quality product and a nice n elegant design.

Ok bro, a few questions. First, are you going to be using this for music only or also home theater? If both, how much % wise of each? (ie 60/40 or 30/70) Def Techs are hard to beat for home theater, but, I don't recommend their STS, but rather, the BP-8060's or better yet the BP-8080's. Those are killer for home theater and would stomp on the B&W CM-9's. If you are only going to be listening to music, then the B&W CM-9's might work, although, they are not all that good for home theater, at least not compared to Def Techs or Klipschs'. I would also recommend the Ascend Sierra Towers or the Ascned Sierra-1's as these will be better than the B&W CM-9's for music, and be really good for home theater. I have gone through boat loads of speakers in my lifetime. I personally own a pair of Ascend Sierra-1's and also a full 7.1 Definitive Technology setup. I use the Ascend for music listening and the Def Techs for home theater. I have yet to find anything else, below the price of a new car, that I like better! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks that helps a lot. 90% will be for movies. I was looking at the ascend but they dont have a matching center from what i can find. But im really leaning toward the deftech 8060's or 8080's with matching center and there surrounds. Will be doing a diy subwoofer setup using TC subs. Either ported or with PR's. Was looking at the deftech 4000, 6000 there nice with the remote. Ill be using 2 separate subwoofers one for each side. I think the bipole towers will be better for me than the ST's. Thanks for your help. You pretty much helped me make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
BuddahX said:
Thanks that helps a lot. 90% will be for movies. I was looking at the ascend but they dont have a matching center from what i can find. But im really leaning toward the deftech 8060's or 8080's with matching center and there surrounds. Will be doing a diy subwoofer setup using TC subs. Either ported or with PR's. Was looking at the deftech 4000, 6000 there nice with the remote. Ill be using 2 separate subwoofers one for each side. I think the bipole towers will be better for me than the ST's. Thanks for your help. You pretty much helped me make up my mind.
You may not need a sub with the BP towers since they each have an LFE input.

Btw what AVR will you be using?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correction AVR-1600. But i might as well upgrade that as well. But im unfamiliar with avr's. When all said and done i want to have a 7.2 setup. Any receiver suggestions? I dont need anything too too outlandish. Just something with good sound and would like to stay below a $2000 mark.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.