Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
They are definitely not White Van Speakers. They have gotten surprisingly good Reviews considering just how inexpensive they are for 5 Speakers that are quite large.

When I first heard about them, I was quite skeptical as the price seemed way too good to be true. However, it seems they are not bad speakers. I have never listened to them, but must say it is pretty amazing that you can add a Dayton Sub120 for 150 Dollars from Amazon and have a 5.1 Speaker Package for under 500 Dollars that certainly looks like an array costing at least 4 times the price the Fluance and Dayton combo cost.

There have been several Threads about Fluance here so I definitely would recommend reading some of the other Threads as well. All I can say is that somewhere, somehow some strong cost cutting measures have to be taken for these speakers to be sold for a profit. I figured it would be from insane prices for Shipping, but that is not the case.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a set of their MTM towers as my side surrouds. Their customer support and lifetime warranty of their drivers is very nice. I've had to replace one of the tweeters and 1 of the 6.5 mid/woofer no charge to me ever. They are very nice on the phone and via e-mail.

·
Registered
348 Posts
They sound good and are braced and have a good crossover. I started with these as my mains and could hang with DTS material, no problem. They do like power and I wish I could have bi-amped them then. I think bi-amping would really make their products shine and absorb any good power. I think they are a winner, any of their products. I've messed with their soft domes outside their enclosure and all drivers are shielded. The only thing was the enclosure looked to be 1/2" mdf but the details of their enclosures are excellent shipping was a bunch like $75 but well worth it. These are the ones I own:

http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html

·
Registered
630 Posts
G

·
They sound good and are braced and have a good crossover. I started with these as my mains and could hang with DTS material, no problem. They do like power and I wish I could have bi-amped them then. I think bi-amping would really make their products shine and absorb any good power. I think they are a winner, any of their products. I've messed with their soft domes outside their enclosure and all drivers are shielded. The only thing was the enclosure looked to be 1/2" mdf but the details of their enclosures are excellent shipping was a bunch like $75 but well worth it. These are the ones I own:

http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html
Would you have time for some REW sweeps? Close range, on and off axis? I've build a HTPC and I went higer end on a 2.1 stereo, but I'm still thinking about going for a affordable 5.1 system and a AVR with HDMI for easier hookup, and the oblivious surround sound. It really does seem to be too good to be true. Also, what makes the crossover nice? Got a pic?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have my Advanced MCACC parameters and data I can share but it says its an invalid file. I can e-mail if you would like and with the supplied dimensions and parameters you can get a great idea of their performance. There are 3 calibration curves, all channel is "Flat", front align matches rears to performance of fronts, and Symmetry is a curve that phase aligns the left channels seperate from the right channels. These are used in a Side Surround position and have been raised to offer better surround performance. I also have a Goldwood titanium tweet that replaces their soft domes for more aggressive sound I want in the surround locations.

I'm going out of town tonight to leave the 107 degree temps here in Bakersfield and won't be back till late Sunday.

Brian in Bakersfield...

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Was wondering if this company is any good. Or if there a white van frauds. I never heard of them and im curious. Thank you for the help.
Fluance is a terrible name, IMO :huh: :D but is a solid budget speaker manufacturer with a good reputation. I recommend them over Bose or the speakers that come with most HTIB's.

As of now I'm leaning toward the Zaph audio DIY kits.
Fluance is not in the same league as Zaph. I'd lean that way too.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The Zaph speaker kits after being built and finished would be way more then double the cost of the Fluance/Yambeka speaker systems. Boils down to how much your willing to spend. Fluance/Yambeka are probably one of the best "dirt cheap" speakers sets out there, throw in a partexpress Dayton sub and its a nice starter system.

SV sound makes a 5 channel system that is very nice
http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sts01.cfm#sss02 $1327 (backordered)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea i was just curious about that company. Im going with zaph. Curious about RHB audio. They look pretty good. Ill buy the zaph kits one at a time finish the buil then order next set. So tht way im not spending all the money at once. Prob do a high gloss or satin black finish. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yea i was just curious about that company. Im going with zaph. Curious about RHB audio. They look pretty good. Ill buy the zaph kits one at a time finish the buil then order next set. So tht way im not spending all the money at once. Prob do a high gloss or satin black finish. Keep it simple.
That is a good choice that you made - however, for those who do not want to
build, and are on a tight budget - then HTD is an option.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those look nice. I like the price of the bi polar surrounds. I have a question. I have a 7.1 harmon kardon avr-1600. I want bi-polar for the surrounds was thinking about getting a pair of zaph mt kits and turning them into bi-polar by adjusring the cu ft of cabinet to accomodate two woofers. Would you recomen that or just getting some bi-polar speakers and keeping the L C R's zaph. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Those look nice. I like the price of the bi polar surrounds. I have a question. I have a 7.1 harmon kardon avr-1600. I want bi-polar for the surrounds was thinking about getting a pair of zaph mt kits and turning them into bi-polar by adjusring the cu ft of cabinet to accomodate two woofers. Would you recomen that or just getting some bi-polar speakers and keeping the L C R's zaph. Thanks for the help.
Try to communicate with Zaph, on the bi-polars to get it right. If not, then HTD will get
the surround duties done. Good Luck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was looking through HTD site and the level 3 looks promising. I might get those instead. I like the ribbon tweeter idea and the 47-40,000 frequency range. What do you think about that series? Plus they have a di/bi-pole surrounds.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was looking through HTD site and the level 3 looks promising. I might get those instead. I like the ribbon tweeter idea and the 47-40,000 frequency range. What do you think about that series? Plus they have a di/bi-pole surrounds.
The Level Three is a nice step up from the Two. The ribbon tweeter is clean sounding.
HTD makes good stuff - the cabinets are braced, and they put a lot of work into the
crossovers. The customer service is top rate.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
with a lot of help from GuaranteedEV I've decided I will be doing Statements for mains and statement Center for the center speaker. and will either go with Seas Loki or Zaph for the surrounds. quite a bit more in price but well worth it for the sq.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts