Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched on this a bit but either I'm not using the correct key words or it's just not out there.

My HT is in my basement. My receiver came with the cheapo little wire for FM reception.

I really enjoy the local stations that keep me updated on events in the area.

To make matters worse, my house is behind a hill. I want to know if there's a solution for better FM reception. I want to run an antenna on the roof or maybe even up the hill behind the house to get the best reception possible.

Has anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I had an old Radio Shack TV antenna in the attic of one of my old houses. House was new at the time and in a new neighborhood so I really didn't want it on the roof. Worked very well. In my current house, I have my computers, AVR, and 5.1 system set up in my yet to be finished basement, on this system I have an old pair of rabbit ears hooked up for FM. This also works pretty well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions guys!

What sort of wire did you use to connect between the antenna and the receiver? My Sony 5400ES has a plastic fitting that has a single wire running from it and that plugs into what looks like a coax input on the receiver. I tried using a piece of cable wire but once the ground made contact, reception got worse.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I use coax to the rabbit ears. And on the antenna I used coax from the receiver up to the antenna, then a 75 ohm coaxial "F" plug to 300 ohm twin lead connection to hook up to the actual antenna.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went searching for options...

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm

I can pick this up for 109 + shipping on ebay but is it worth 109? I decided to try my plain old coax idea and it improved reception quite a bit. I'm only using the solid internal wire in the coax fed into the receiver and the insulation is cut far enough back to have no contact with the threaded portion of the plug. The wire runs outside, up the side of the house and it's laying on the roof for the moment with no termination. Simply a bare wire end.

The receiver is picking up many new signals but most do not have enough power to illuminate the STEREO indicator on the receiver. I wonder if this antenna will provide any better reception than my current set-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts