Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I work at a big centre, where its semi permanent install stuff, some rooms have permanent rigs, but stuff gets moved around as its needed. That and half the stuff is digital these days. But we still use a lot of analogue eq's for the main rigs in the smaller rooms. The standard procedure (even on the digital desks) is to zero the desk, or restore factory defaults (unless there is something special done that is venue specific, in which case its just normal restore defaults).
Some of the regular operators have presets on the digital desks, but they're kept in their own file. Or they have their own flash drive (we have digi desks, m7s and a 5d as well as a bunch of 01v's)

The EQs for the rooms usually don't get touched, but it isn't discouraged to play with the main GEQ's, but they're usually set pretty well so it just depends on the tech or operator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was just asked to help a church out because their sound system had troubles. I really could not believe how badly someone had set the eq. I am a complete believer in digital if you got the $$. But over the years I have worked with a lot of churches and bands with analog equipment. They have me set their levels and then try to never touch them again. Signs are clearly posted on the equipment and sometimes they will take a digital picture of the settings. But inevitably someone will mess with the settings. I would expect any competent SE to just flatten levels and get on with the art of mixing sound. But I also find that most churches don’t have any competent SE, just “audio wannabe” parishioners. I am assuming you are talking about how to keep the system consistent without a competent SE. So it really becomes about education, discipline, and your ability to idiot proof the system. Big red tags that say “don’t touch this” can help.

If sound was so simple and repeatable why would you need a SE?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just asked to help a church out because their sound system had troubles. I really could not believe how badly someone had set the eq. I am a complete believer in digital if you got the $$. But over the years I have worked with a lot of churches and bands with analog equipment. They have me set their levels and then try to never touch them again. Signs are clearly posted on the equipment and sometimes they will take a digital picture of the settings. But inevitably someone will mess with the settings. I would expect any competent SE to just flatten levels and get on with the art of mixing sound. But I also find that most churches don’t have any competent SE, just “audio wannabe” parishioners. I am assuming you are talking about how to keep the system consistent without a competent SE. So it really becomes about education, discipline, and your ability to idiot proof the system. Big red tags that say “don’t touch this” can help.

If sound was so simple and repeatable why would you need a SE?
I get calls to work with church tech teams that are just starting. One I help at had an old board (even had a spring in it for reverb). It also had a GEQ on it, tough to put a security plate on it when it isn't in a rack. The poor pastor had paid someone to come in and EQ it. One of his volunteers later on decided a smily would look way cooler than what was on their.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a church call me and the eq was like this: one up, one down, one up, one down, one up, one down across the eq. It was obviously set by what they liked the knobs to look like. The last time someone had really messed up the effects and patched it into the mains. It took me at least 20 minutes to unscramble the configuration and get back to normal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK... glad (or should I say "not so glad") to hear some of you have faced the same frustration. I like the suggestions on this thread and there are many answers. I think the predominant one is the need for knowledge! :rolleyesno:

In a volunteer "Sound guy" situation, how can we best serve these guys with the information they need to know? :huh:

Maybe this is another thread but..... ehhhh, I'll start a new thread.:bigsmile:

P.S... but keep this one goin' if you have comments, solutions, advice, etc.

Pep

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is difficult in a church scenario if there are no properly-trained or experienced SEs. The movable equipment usually suffers in these situations too, as there is no one person to take responsibility for the mics, stands, leads, etc, maintain it when this is needed, wrap the leads up properly (all helpers should be trained to do this!), etc. Without a responsible person often the whole rig gets gremlins, things can't be relied-on to work properly...

>

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is difficult in a church scenario if there are no properly-trained or experienced SEs. The movable equipment usually suffers in these situations too, as there is no one person to take responsibility for the mics, stands, leads, etc, maintain it when this is needed, wrap the leads up properly (all helpers should be trained to do this!), etc. Without a responsible person often the whole rig gets gremlins, things can't be relied-on to work properly...

>
Not only that without someone to keep things in its place everyone thinks they should be able to use it when they want and where they want, and the gear most like being in that spot more because after the person "returns" it the gear walks right back to the spot they used it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts