Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you own and use a head demagnetizer? Have you noticed a difference with high frequency reproduction before and after use or is this one of those mythical audiophool ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, I used one (still have it in a box somewhere) It did help with recording quality after a year or so of playback and recording. Head cleaning was also a really good idea every few months with a q-tip and alcohol.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Used by pros in recording studios almost daily back in the tape machine days of yore. I have never heard proof in a listning test, but the theory is pretty straightforward and I always did the same with my own tape equipment.

It is cheap
It is easy.
It is fast.
Not doing it has a small potential of a big downside - tapes with permanant HF loss.

Just do it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Not doing it has a small potential of a big downside - tapes with permanant HF loss.

Just do it.
I think thats the big one there, it was not so much to avoid recording and playback quality loos but more to prevent magnetism from building up on the heads and damaging the tape.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I ordered one of these for $30Cdn off of Amazon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Make sure you dont have the volume up on your stereo when doing it or you will be in for a very loud moise. Only play the tape (if it is a tape unit) for about 4 seconds, thats all you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts