Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HERE is a link to my previous phases...

PHASE THREE !

Upgraded Equipment:

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U
Preamp/Processor: Onkyo PR-SC5508
Amplifier 1: Emotiva XPA-5
Amplifier 2: Emotiva UPA-5
Screen: Jamestown Custom 140" wide 2.35:1 AT screen with Seymour XD material.
Mains: Mirage OM-10
Surround Side: Mirage OM-S2
Surround Back: Infinity Quatropole
Center: Mirage OM-C2
Sub: Yamaha YST-1500

Room: The room layout will be rotated 180 deg. to accomadate the AT screen wall. I'm also planning to darken the walls and do some acoustic treatment. I've also decided to build a small stage under the screen and add columns and sconces.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the Jamestown Screen going together. The instructions have pictures and was easy to follow...I just skipped a step here and there.

Specs. 129" X 55" or 140" diag. 2.35:1. I ordered and stressed 140" wide, so 140" diag. will do.

It came loosely packed, but nothing was damaged. All major items were wrapped in plastic nicely.

The Top, bottom and sides had the 3/4" aluminum tubing already attached. this is nice as it keep the wood from bowing etc. The top and bottom rails are split to allow for standard shipping. the screw holes for mounting the side bars are pre-drilled, but the holes for the center reinforcement bars are not. You have to pick a spot and go for it.
I did this assembly first leaving everything loose....and things lined up.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/foraye/Home Theatre/P1010332_zpsf24f0d5c.jpg

This is the corner assembly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next I laid down the Seymour fabric. The Fabric is a lot more resilient than I thought. Jamestown had notched around the screw holes and it all lined up. I had my fingers crossed!
So first over the retaining rail,

Then under...and stretch while tightening everything. The stretching went well and didnt take a lot of time . I did an initial stretch then a final adjustment. Word to the wise...make sure the center supports are in place befor starting the fabric stretch...else everything will bow and the middle bars will not fit later!. I know 'cuz I did it the wrong way first.

Hung it on the wall...in place of the old screen...i couldn't resist

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started to build the screen wall and the stage together...
I stumbled onto BigMouthinDC thread (AVS) called Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall and got inspired. So off to HD to get some lumber. While figuring out how to mount and align my goalposts, I decide to do a modest stage with the posts mounted to it, full floating.

The stage going together. It is 15' wide by 4' deep. the arc is 1X4 PVC trim. it was flexible enough to form the arc with little effort. basically cut the first stud and secure it to the center of the stage, fasten the trim to it, then bend the ends around the pivot point and fansten them to the existing stage. next I cut the studs to length and fasten them...

Goal Posts...

5/4 X 4 X16 Exterior trim primed. These are very straight and true...compared to 2 x 4s. I cut them don to 90 3/4 to account for my 2 layers of drywall to go in later.
fastened 2 per side into a L - Bracket and attache to stage.

Cross bar leveled and in place.

Mounted the screen hangers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now on to the blackout treatment. There is a 3 X 5 window behind the screen. I use 3/4 inch ply with some Felt material and covered it...Yes there is a blind behind the ply so we wont look crazy to the neighbors.

I used Flat Black pint from LOWES and it covered well ...I blacked out to the front of the stage for now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was easier than attempting to salvage my speaker cables from the old screen wall. and surrounds. I put them in right so most did not want to come out. I only needed 3 of the 7 anyway. The old Mains will now be the Back Surrounds, and the old Back surround will be the new Mains. I got the wiring squared away and set the speakers in place and hung the screen.

I thought Game of Thrones was starting last night so I rushed to hang the projector... I dusted off a chair and waited , but no Thrones yet.

My lens center is in-line with the screen center...I think!

My homemade mount pressed into operation again...I might just buy one now to gt some fine adjustment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It was pitch black in there and the picture popped on the XD material. One thing I started to realize, was that I did not have enough adjustment in my DIY PJ mount. I started to fab up a shelf for it, but realized that I probably don't need to build everything from scratch (DIY-ITIS). I had just finished telling my friend helping me to " work smarter not harder!"...So I ran down to my Micro Center and picked up a universal mount finally.

I also wanted the flexibility of lowering the PJ if needed to get my Auto Zoom on the AE8000 to play nice. The new mount adjusts from 7"-17". The images below were zoomed to fit the 2.35 screen.

Shelf idea...the beginning and end (1 1/2" Aluminum Angle and a parted out Ikea coffee table)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next I turned to the ceiling above the screen... the plan was to add mass and then paint or cover with felt.

I ended up doing two sheets of 5/8" sheetrock covered with black felt...that definitely darkened things up and hopefully quiet things down some what. The previous screen wall had double 1/2" sonoboard and sheetrock behind it along with fiberglass insulation. It for the most part did a good job keeping the racket down. I forgot the labor involved pressing 5/8 drywall overhead and screwing it down...fun times. The good news is I didn't have any panels pull from the first few screws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I neglected to price out Black Carpeting in advance. So went to HD and Lowe's ...non in stock and $7+ per square foot...

This is where the "Big" City comes in...I was in Philly and...got pointed me up to the north east to a carpet/flooring wholesaler. They had 3 brands of black ready to go...$0.79 per square foot!

I ordered 180 ftsq. cut into 2 lengths of 6' X 15' each...pick it up the next day as I didn't have my truck. Got some padding also...

I thought it would be trickier, but I had the stage done in about 90 minutes or so...

First I laid out the first 6' X 15' roll, and cut a 3.5" runner from it using scrap wood as a guide. The runner will be the cove below the lip of the Stage. I rebuilt the stage to have a 1.5" overhang. The original build was flush with the edge.

To accomplish this I ripped 2 strips of ply 1.5 inches wider than before...this effectively pushed the curved sections 1.5 inches past the edge of the stage.

With overhang...

Runner

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next positioned the carpet just past the front arc of the stage and drove some screws to keep it from moving. I then cut the stage profile into the carpet, and removed the screws.

next I laid down some tack strips, and padding...on second thought, I'd probably not put tack strips at the front edge, and extend the padding around the lip.

All done!

Next step, I'll cut the remaining roll and lay it on top of the existing carpet behind the screen!...to create the Black Hole!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided to get myself a Kreg Jig and make some columns for my surround speakers...I'm loving that tool now!

The columns will be fabbed from 1 x 3 Pine (S4S) I think. I decided to use the 1 x 3 for the face frame and 1 X 6 for the column sides. The Kreg Jig made this sooooo much easier!

pocket holes for the column face frame

face frame to column sides

First column (lower section) mostly together

Couldn't resist...

The inner panel is made from 1/4 oak ply...

Top Section Fitted

1 - 20 of 55 Posts