Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I scaled up after the first one and built the next 3 assemblies...

My back channel wall used to be my front stage that was covered in felt. I decided to remove the felt and will do wall paper for that wall and above the chair rails in the room.

On to Primer/Paint/Install

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I started on my counter...I should be able to get 3-4 seats back there. It will be 9' X 30" or so. I did the preliminary layout in sketchup.

The framing is 2x4 held together with pocket screws...even though I have a power nailer. The pocket screws keep things square and straight!

The plan is to do a 3/4" ply sub-top then lay laminate flooring on it. I will then apply bar rail molding and Kleer Koat epoxy to finish.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I started on my counter...I should be able to get 3-4 seats back there. It will be 9' X 30" or so. I did the preliminary layout in sketchup.

The framing is 2x4 held together with pocket screws...even though I have a power nailer. The pocket screws keep things square and straight!

The plan is to do a 3/4" ply sub-top then lay laminate flooring on it. I will then apply bar rail molding and Kleer Koat epoxy to finish.
My goodness you are going to town lately - excellent progress!

Which reminds me - I really need to put the finishing touches on my own build thread... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Spent the past weekend spraying stain and varnish! I hadn't done this in a while...forgot how long it takes to dry etc. I did get a chance to use my HVLP gun I picked up some time ago at a car show though! Wether was in the low 80's so I sprayed everything outside.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Spent the past weekend spraying stain and varnish! I hadn't done this in a while...forgot how long it takes to dry etc. I did get a chance to use my HVLP gun I picked up some time ago at a car show though! Wether was in the low 80's so I sprayed everything outside.

Did you have to dilute the stain to use it in the sprayer? I have one, but I did not think the sprayer could handle stain...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did you have to dilute the stain to use it in the sprayer? I have one, but I did not think the sprayer could handle stain...
No I did not have to dilute. It is an oil based stain from Sherwin Williams. They just needed to add tint to the base and it was ready to spray. The same for the varnish. I only used 1/2 Quart for basically (3) 4' X 8' sheets of Birch Ply.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
No I did not have to dilute. It is an oil based stain from Sherwin Williams. They just needed to add tint to the base and it was ready to spray. The same for the varnish. I only used 1/2 Quart for basically (3) 4' X 8' sheets of Birch Ply.
Nice - what brand sprayer are you using?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nice - what brand sprayer are you using?
Its nothing special...C.M.T is whats on the box, similar to what you'd get from harbor freight. I have a regular and a mini touch up gun, both hvlp. I ran it at about 35psi and adjusted the fluid for a light coat. I didnt want to have to rag the stain after spraying.

I sprayed the varnish a little heavier however, as I used the full quart on the 3 panels.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Its nothing special...C.M.T is whats on the box, similar to what you'd get from harbor freight. I have a regular and a mini touch up gun, both hvlp. I ran it at about 35psi and adjusted the fluid for a light coat. I didnt want to have to rag the stain after spraying.

I sprayed the varnish a little heavier however, as I used the full quart on the 3 panels.
Think I have that exact sprayer - I will have to give that a shot on my next project. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
this weekend was for trim and counter top. at this point its about 75% complete. I need to add some electric outlets and A/V connects. I'm still deciding what I need there, but most likely I'll have at least 1 HDMI, Component and Composite Jacks for music.

I also decided to get rid of the projector mount I had earlier and add a PJ shelf instead. As a result the picture quality seem better with the PJ right side up...its just crisper.

The PJ box. I used pars of a old coffee table (base) and 1 X 3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The bar top is made from Bruce Laminate flooring and bull nose for stairs. Got it from Home Depot online and it came in 2 Days...wow!

Before laying the flooring I added sub-flooring and some recycled trim on the edges.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Update time...

I managed to get most of the wallpaper up..and I'm loving it. This paper was the first one that I saw and loved immediately. I then spent 2 months trying to top it and couldn't...and it turned out great IMHO!

I haven't decided on the back wall yet, since I still need to do the built in beverage and wine coolers...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts