Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we do not have a chiseled in stone formatting requirement... there are a few things we like to see.

About Sections

I like them bold, underlined and first letter caps... however, if it looks good without underlining, that is fine. I like consistency. Extra spacing between sections to set them apart.

Music Listening

Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD) - Please tell us the format next to the title. If there is helpful info about the label or format, please include it as well. A particular pressing, 180gram, etc.

Flim & The BB's: Tricycle (Vinyl) - This may be one reason I like the underlines on the sections... then if you have subsections you can still bold and emphasize and keep the sections differentiated. If that makes sense.

Yello: One Second (CD) -The titles of sections might be more up to you and what you want to talk about most, but they should be somewhat the same generalities... however you may label one section differently than another reviewer.

Movie Watching

Medicine Man (DVD) - Blah blah blah... one of my favorite movies.

Avatar (Blu-ray, 3D) - A big time movie.

Battleship (Blu-ray) - Again... these are merely suggestions. Innovation and creativity are absolutely welcome.

Grammar and Spelling

Is spelling part of grammar?

I think there are two things here... get a spell checker. I use FF and it is built in. However, when you first start writing, use Word with its spell checker and grammar functions, although it makes some weird suggestions I don't like on grammar from time to time.

The second thing is avoid contractions... (I've, don't, doesn't, etc.)... I prefer (I have, do not, does not, etc.). We are writing a professional review and it looks more professional when we do not use contractions.

Bottom Line

Presentation and substance are important. I think it is hard to have one without the other. We want our reviews to have substance and to be attractive.

I also believe we need a minimum of 1500 words for a review. Most of what we have now from Dale, Dave and Jim are 2,000 words or more.

By THE Way... Did I mention that I do NOT like contractions? :whistling:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Zoomomma VNP-7500 Home Theater Receiver Review

[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=9591&w=s[/img]
Here are some more important formatting notes.

We like smaller images up top... with a max width of about 300 pixels or so. It can be left justified with text wrapping... or centered. Either is fine. We do not want to use an excessively large image near the top of the review. The first 2200 characters are included in our Featured Threads on our main home page, so we do not want images that are too BIG showing up on that front page. If you use larger images, keep them lower in the review, but remember to at least put a smaller image up top so we have something up there just below the title.

Include the title above in larger font and bold... include the brand and full model number with "Review" added to the end. Also remember to close the thread and link to a discussion thread with a Summary of the review that links back to the full review. Look at some of our most recent reviews and you will see how the cross linking is preferred, including the wording. We are simply trying to get more exposure for the review and keep discussion among related product discussion.

We like the Brand, Full Model #... ending with "Review" at the title of the thread... for SEO purposes.

If you have questions or suggestions for improving our presentation, please share those with us here.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
just clarifying, is the 1500 word min applying to the blu-ray reviews as well from our 1,000 word min or is this applying only to equipment reviews?? I only ask being that you mentioned Dave, Dale and Jim and they stick to equipment reviews atm

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No... that is more for equipment reviews. This thread is more for equipment reviews, but some of it could definitely be applied to movie reviews as well. We do not want to have a separate discussion thread for movie reviews either.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
No... that is more for equipment reviews. This thread is more for equipment reviews, but some of it could definitely be applied to movie reviews as well. We do not want to have a separate discussion thread for movie reviews either.
understood, just wanted to make sure, been a long day today lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts