Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some request to post some pictures , so here it is.
Room is 17.5' X 21.5'
Ceiling is 103"
Front sound stage Infinity Classia
Rear sound RBH
Projector Epson 8700
Front row seats Berkline
Rear row seats Coaster Pavilion
AV RX, Onkyo 807

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Beautiful theatre, Mike. I love the beams and the molding. The little details are well done too, like the lighting for your steps and the equipment rack that looks like it has access from the rear. And the lobby! All together that's a huge space. Very nice! :T

·
Registered
303 Posts
Really like the look of that room. Only thing I would have done differently is painted the whole front wall and ceiling a darker color.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Really like the look of that room. Only thing I would have done differently is painted the whole front wall and ceiling a darker color.
I originally had it painted flat black, and didn't like it. plus haven't decided what screen to buy , so i needed a lighter color on the front wall to project on. I cant even imagine that the picture will be any better on a screen. It's amazing on the wall

The Theater room started off bare, mostly concrete poured walls, and bare slab and the lobby room was sheet rocked and painted with no molding . I started by studding walls up , wired,insulated, rocked etc . The lobby i had to acid wash the tile floor , add all the moldings , and paint everything. The really only unforeseen cost ($2500) was the addition of a lennox 2 ton heat pump,I found out I didn't have enough capacity on my existing system to supply the theater .

I shopped for three months buying materials before starting the project. All the electronics were bought new as closeouts from various sources , and the lighting fixtures were discontinued items at home depot. rough electrical materials were bought at a local supply house , as was all the moldings (much cheaper than home depot)

·
Registered
54 Posts
nice job, looks great! I like the trim work as well, i know that took some time to install, most people wouldnt take that extra time and money.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am projecting on a painted wall as well and can't see the need for an actual screen. :)

I really would like to see the difference side by side , So i have requested screen samples from Elite. but so far none have arrived. I plan on hanging them on the wall and see if i can notice any change, from painted wall to screen material.

Anyone know how i can get screen samples, of Carada ? Da-lite ?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I really would like to see the difference side by side , So i have requested screen samples from Elite. but so far none have arrived. I plan on hanging them on the wall and see if i can notice any change, from painted wall to screen material.

Anyone know how i can get screen samples, of Carada ? Da-lite ?
Also contact SeymourAV. They have really well priced acoustically transparent screens

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I now have a C&S screen using the new silver paint (slight blue push) and I have to say it is a night and day difference. The colors have MUCH more pop and everything looks cleaner. I would say 50% better . and now my samples have arrived for screen material , and this what I done . I adjusted the screen a few feet off the c&s screen onto the painted wall and taped up the Elite screen samples. I was very surprised at the results. #1 the plain painted wall portion looked washed out and dull by comparison, the c&s wall portion looked great , and the cinewhite elite looked just a touch better than the C&S . Just a little sharper , and a slight more pop, the cinegray looked dull to me as well , And yes I do know it is a bad idea to compare a white and a gray screen side by side.

Final thoughts. I would never go back to a plain painted wall now , is it worth the $$ to go with an elite screen for just a little bit better? no , not right now anyway. I have $83 in my DIY screen and love it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts