Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total noob & have been bothering u guys alot but I'm wanting to build a small sub to go with my bookshelves & was wondering if there was any noticeable difference between forward firing vs downward firing subs & if it mattered if the ports were facing forward or towards the rear, from what I've read it shouldn't matter but in real life sound wise does it matter??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I've had some decent home audio speakers,paradigm,definitive,klipsch I mainly come from a car audio background where most most subs I've heard sound better rear facing so it makes me think downward facing may sound better? I may be & probably am wrong but that's my thinking

·
Registered
48 Posts
G,day, bruklyndodga, it realy does not matter whether your woofers fire down or forward as these are design considerations based on space limitations, generally. Please dont confuse car with home audio subs, as they are different beasts due to the spaces they operate into, as homes are much larger than cars and take much higher SPL to pressurise. cheers Mike.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sound-wise, it shouldn't matter, but if you have any rambunctious household members, down firing might be better because of the added protection the woofers receive from being somewhat out of the way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm a total noob & have been bothering u guys alot but I'm wanting to build a small sub to go with my bookshelves & was wondering if there was any noticeable difference between forward firing vs downward firing subs & if it mattered if the ports were facing forward or towards the rear, from what I've read it shouldn't matter but in real life sound wise does it matter??
I'm no DIY expert. I have built down-firing and front-firing subs and don't think there is too much sound difference given that the same driver, box size and amp are used.

What I've read on this forum from the more skilled DIYers is that some drivers have a soft suspension and/or weak motor assembly that causes the driver to sag in a downfiring configuration, thus reducing its performance and shortening its life cycle.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
What I've read on this forum from the more skilled DIYers is that some drivers have a soft suspension and/or weak motor assembly that causes the driver to sag in a downfiring configuration, thus reducing its performance and shortening its life cycle.
You can use SonoSub to see if the driver is suited to downfiring. It will give you a warning if the sag is too great,
What driver are you thinking of using?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I'm certainly no sub expert but i would think a case could be made, as has been mentioned, that downward firing has a couple of advantages; no need for a grille to protect the driver and port opening from children or pets. Not sure but I think it would also eliminate cancellation from that first reflection, and would be easier to set up in a corner if needed. I have also heard that because the port and driver are a fixed distance from the nearest surface the designer can take that into consideration when adjusting the loading characteristics of the reflex system. Personally I have had forward firing subs, down firing subs and a sub with both a forward and a down firing drivers, can't really say I notice any difference in sound.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to use a Dayton 8" dvc with a 100w Dayton amp, it's just for my workshop & since its my first build I wanted something inexpensive in case I screwed it up plus for practice before moving on to my HT, also if I made a downward facing ported box would it matter which direction the port is facing? Down, forward or back? Thanks again guys

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've always heard you want a 4" spacing from port exit to the nearest wall (say if the sub has a rear firing port you want to place the sub at least 4" from the wall)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts