Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this will be a build thread of sorts. I just wanted to share my experience and hope that it helps someone. Like many of you I decided that DIY provided the best bang for the buck and allowed for greater flexibility than you could find from buying a manufactured sub. Maybe some of you out there are like me that did not have the proper tools/work area to produce a good DIY sub. The expense for proper tools to do the job was really high and so I looked for alternatives. I came upon this site http://www.freewebs.com/uber-stealth/diyhomeaudio.htm which is ran by Nik. I contacted him and he was more than willing to work with me on my build and at a very reasonable price as well.

So for anyone out there that wants to be able to pick your own driver, amp, enclosure etc... and doesn't want to invest in tools (like me) then contact Nik and he'll set you up. Some pics of what arrived safe and sound today.

Dont pay much attention to the sloppy silicone job...that was my doing lol. He did a very nice job on it. This is just for 2 channel listening so I wasn't looking for gobs of output. I had him build this around the Shiva-X sub and O-audio 500 watt amp. Im painting it right now and hopefully some time tomorrow I'll have a finished product. But, just based on dry fitting everything....he nailed it! Looks much better in person, cant give Nik enough credit! Craftsmanship is top notch! If there are any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Purely out of curiosity can you say how much the box cost, and how much shipping was? I've been to his web site before and his work looks really good but he doesn't have any kind of pricing what so ever, he just says you have to e-mail him for the pricing.

Granted I do most of my own work but if I ever want something more complicated than you can easily make with just a router I've often wondered where would be a good place to get something CNCd.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice job on that box. I also am curious how much you spent on it. Did Nik you a CNC or did he build it with more traditional methods? Look forward to seeing what you do with the finish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pm'd you both. I asked Nik before I posted if he didn't mind me showing some of his work. He said it was fine as long as I didn't post pricing info. He said I could pm pricing, but thats it. So I respect that and ask that you do as well.

Im fairly positive he CNC'd it because, well he has one lol. I would be surprised if he didn't. He did a great job and Im really pleased with it. As for the finish, I think I should have done some more sanding before I painted but its final coat is drying right now so hopefully tonight I'll have it altogether and post pics.

Forgot to mention that he does offer different finishes as well. I just asked for the bare box because it was cheaper and I wanted to try my hand at painting. He did say that he doesn't do paint, but he can either carpet it, or he has a selection of veneer he can use as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I would quickly update with some finished pics. I know that I need to dust so dont mention it lol. I tried to get a good picture of the finer texture that this paint has. Its Rustoleum Hammered black paint. Pretty nice stuff. I will post back later with listening impressions, but the Wildcats are getting ready to come on so I gotta run.

Again I have to say this is really a great thing to look into if you're thinking of designing a DIY but dont have the proper tools. A win-win situation. Later!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts