Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a play last night with some bassotronics and found the limits on my amp. Quite funny really.
I had the onkyo on -10db and with the subs calibrated to 80db I played track 6 off the bassotronics album and on the really heavy bass parts the red lights came on and within a few seconds the amp turned itself off due to massive amounts off heat. Its such a shame as the drivers would have been able to run reference on bassotronics really easily. The crazy thing is the subs would have gone alot further so I am guessing its down to my subs being dual 1 ohm wired to give 2 ohms.

The impedance load must be very low on very low frequencies which is very demanding on the amp. If I was playing say 20hz and above then I think it would have been fine. There wasn't even much air coming out off the ports and my port velocity according to winisd at 10hz is 38 m/s.

I am thinking about some time in the future to get the drivers re coned to the new 2010 dual 2 ohm drivers so I can then run an amp to each sub as they can clearly take more than 1000 watts and the new drivers model better.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Perhaps you would be better keeping the original fan in the amp, and relocating it to another room. I would even suggest that if you are really pushing it on a regular basis, then you would be better getting a second amp, so each sub has its own, then bridge them into 4 ohms for best results.

Personally, I dont really understand the desire to run your subs right to their limits, even with the small sealed cubes I run I rarely push the subs to max, or the amp, and thats the way I like to run. That way I know I'm getting a good clean sound. If I run the subs or the setup to -10 on the Onkyo, even with the subs hot a few db, I'm not maxing anything and thats about as loud as I ever need it, you must really like pushing the limits.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

I have to say I was very impressed with the EP4000 bare in mind it is running 2 ohms and producing low low frequencies at loud volumes and also with a mod fan jobby. Effectively at -10db with running essentially 5db hot that is running like -5db on the onkyo which is almost reference. Pretty good for a £300 amp.

I very rarely do that kind off thing but it was a blast. I would like to get my hands on the marathon 5050 amp but you cannot source them in the UK. With regards to more powerful amps I don't know what you would need to be able to run that kind off power.

Dan, bare in mind these two ported subs are producing quite a bit more spl than your sealed subs and you are not putting that much pressure on the amp. Once I get around to re coning them to the dual 2 ohms it will then enable me to run an EP4000 to each sub which will mean I can run them 4 ohms bridged.

From what I have read 4 ohms bridged is the same as running 2 x 2 ohms stereo as it is the same load.

I listen to quite alot off dubstep which is more 20hz and over which is fine. The new subs in 21.5hz tune will be perfect for that especially as the impedance draw will be quite a bit less.

After all who really listens to sub 10hz stuff that often, its just a fun thing.

Big hats off to Behringer though for a great amp. Just imagine what this would be like with the 19 CFM rating fan. There probably would be fire. :sad:

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lsiberian,

I currently have room for two off this Danley subs but again its getting them over to here in the UK. I know they have massive output down to 20hz but what about below that. I remember that Danley did those in kit form for a while but not any more. My woodworking skills is average and have never cut angles in wood plus I have have no knowledge off horn subs but they do seem really popular at the moment.

Perhaps that is the next step for me. :dontknow:

Could you use the Q18 driver to do one of these?

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Lsiberian,

I currently have room for two off this Danley subs but again its getting them over to here in the UK. I know they have massive output down to 20hz but what about below that. I remember that Danley did those in kit form for a while but not any more. My woodworking skills is average and have never cut angles in wood plus I have have no knowledge off horn subs but they do seem really popular at the moment.

Perhaps that is the next step for me. :dontknow:

Could you use the Q18 driver to do one of these?

cheers

Graham
Well you'd need to design a horn for the 18" driver and it would most certainly be unpractical because the bigger the driver the bigger the horn normally. In room these things have down to 10hz response according to one of my friends who has one. Shipping would also be unpractical. I suppose a second EP4000 with one per amp would be the next logical step anyway.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I can think about another amp I need to get the drivers re coned as they will only wire in to 2 ohms which is no good for this amp bridged. Bad call on my part really. Ive been quoted about £250 per driver to be reconed. It may be cheaper to sell my drivers and put the rest towards 2 18" malx's.

Here's 4 pics.

First: My new 15 cu ft sub
Second: 15 cu ft malx
Third: 15 cu ft Q18 2010
Fourth: All three subs together in high tune 21.5hz.
Fifth: All three subs together in low tune 12.5hz
Sixth: All three subs together in mid tune 17.5hz

There are two off these.

I am not sure whether its best to stick with what I have or go with the recones off the new Q18's or go for two malx's.

The first one which is using my current Q18 drivers is with only 1000 watts where as the other two are with 2000 watts. Doesn't seem too much difference to me between all three apart from I guess the other two will be easier to drive.

Not sure how a horn sub compares to these figures.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lsiberian,

Unfortunately the new cabs have cost me quite a bit to build including £240 for the veneer so I have to stick with the 18's. I do love the 21 malx's though. Would I still have this problem running sub 20hz frequencies even running 4 ohms stereo. Aren't the 18" malx's dual 4 ohm or are they dual 2 ohm. If they are dual 4 ohms then I won't be able to run them 4 ohms bridged as I can only wire them 2 or 8 ohms.

I don't have any problems say watching transformers at -10db on the onkyo on the low bass stuff. I am guessing that some off the bassotronics is sub 10hz so that is where the problem lies. Considering they are dual 1 ohms, the amp does very well indeed.

cheers

Graham

1 - 11 of 11 Posts