Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Looks great! Could you give us some more info about the room... Maybe dimensions, equipment, construction info?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yes, very nice. Lot of space. Good job! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the very nice comments.

More details:

Room size is 22 x 19.3 x 8; The room was originally 27 feet long but took off 5 feet to get better room dimensions and to find a place to put my equipment and the center channel behind the AT screen. The room is a converted loft. Added a another layer of drywall with Green Glue, floor underlayment.

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: Sony 600ES 4K PJ w/ Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and powered sled; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.0 Gain); Lumagen XD Video Processor (currently not in use);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Seaton Catalysts Powered Speakers on sand-filled Seaton Stands; SUBS: Seaton SubMersive HP (4); Surrounds: Seaton Sparks (4) Powered Speakers

ELECTRONICS: Integra 80.2 SSP (with Audyssey Pro); APS 1050 Power Conditioner; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotiva XDA-2 -- USB D to A Converter;

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Dirac Live room correction software running on MusicVault; Oppo BD103D Bluray Player which includes DARBEE DARBLET High-Defintion Image Enhancer; DirecTV DVR

ROOM STUFF: Theater chairs by Berkline; Room design and all acoustic treatment by GIK

MISCELLANEOUS: BlueJeans and Monopric Interconnect Cables (XLR and Single Ended)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't recall how long it took. The stands did not exist when I purchased the Cats so I spent many $ on custom steel stands. When the Cat stands became available, I took time trying to convince myself to dump the expensive metal stands and buy the Cat stands --- and did.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I don't recall how long it took. The stands did not exist when I purchased the Cats so I spent many $ on custom steel stands. When the Cat stands became available, I took time trying to convince myself to dump the expensive metal stands and buy the Cat stands --- and did.
Thanks mate - I have been pestering Mark for nigh on 3 months for stands, and I am trying to decide if I just build them myself or wait it out. The speakers have been sitting in boxes staring at me wondering when they get to come out to play... ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Man what a great looking room. I really like the colors. The way you blended function with style is great. Most people end up sacrificing performance for look or have mo style for function but yours is the best of both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man what a great looking room. I really like the colors. The way you blended function with style is great. Most people end up sacrificing performance for look or have mo style for function but yours is the best of both.
Thank you so much for your very kind words. I really gave a lot of thought to covering up all of the acoustic treatment so that I could make the room look more like a theater and less like a recording studio.

But I decided that I really liked the look of the treatments so left as is (and saved a lot of money in the process).

Function is far more important than form and this theater sounds the best of any I have owned.

Thanks again.

Chuck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have made a number of important changes. The Seaton speakers have all been replaced with Triads --- Platinum LCR's for the front and In Room Silvers for the surrounds. Subs are now a combination of DIY (SI HST18's) and Seaton SubMersive and Surround Processor is now Datasat RS20i.

The addiction continues !!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like, like, like! Very soothing atmosphere and theme. Any impressions yet on the new sound, or are you still tweaking?
Not ready yet. I have been listening to the new speakers for a long time and they are VERY nice (much better midrange/tweeter presentation) but the RS20i has yet to be fully integrated. I had one in my room about a year ago and the improvement over the Marantz (actually 90% of the improvement was Dirac over Audyssey)was incredible. Better everything: bass, midrange, envelopment. I have learned a lot about the Datasat since that time and by the time I get all of that functionality operational, it should be quite stunning.

Thank you for your kind words and my wife and I both agree with you: the environment is quite soothing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts