Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
... the RS20i has yet to be fully integrated. I had one in my room about a year ago and the improvement over the Marantz (actually 90% of the improvement was Dirac over Audyssey)was incredible. Better everything: bass, midrange, envelopment.
I had heard great things about Dirac, but had never really considered it for myself before. This post makes me want to look into it. If the difference is that clear, it makes it hard not to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dirac is worth your investigation. If you don't have an Atmos system, then Emotiva has a piece that supports 7.1 with Dirac for about $2000. Another option is to add the miniDSP device that provides 8 channels of Dirac and is added to your existing SSP and it is about $1000.

If you are looking for a piece that supports Dirac and a lot of channels, the price for a single piece goes way up but a number of folks just buy two of the miniDSP boxes and that gets them to 16 channels for about $2000.

Even before the Datasat, I have been running Dirac for 2 channels from my music server. It is FAR superior to Audyssey - which has not been updated in about 6 years.

Check it out. You won't be dissappointed and no, I don't work for Dirac !!!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! This would be for our yet to be started dedicated basement theatre, so I should have lots of time to investigate. I was planning for Atmos, but I don't think my budget would allow 2 of the Dirac units. I'll definitely do some more reading.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! This would be for our yet to be started dedicated basement theatre, so I should have lots of time to investigate. I was planning for Atmos, but I don't think my budget would allow 2 of the Dirac units. I'll definitely do some more reading.
Some people are just using the Dirac (like I do) on the lower 8 channels, and either not touching the Atmos channels or EQing them separately.:T

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, space galore!
Could only imagine how good it is to turn the volume up until goosebumps start showing.

Very good.
Zoran, from Australia

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hehe, that means crocs and sharks missed you last time. November, yes best time to visit as humidity is not in full swing (depends where you are going) and no shocking temeperature hit for visitors from Norther hemisphere.
Welcome and have a nice stay.

Cheers
Zoran

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have now replaced the last two DIY subs with 4 Seaton F18's (Master and 3 Slaves) and have hidden them in the front two corners which also serve as corner bass traps. I also have ordered the JVC RS500 to replace my Sony 600ES to gain access to (Faux) 4K HDR at much less than the Sony equivalent. After having seen a side by side comparison of the JVC RS600 and the Sony 675 ES at CEDIA, it was a no brainer. If they were the same price, I would have gone the Sony route.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nice Job!
Thank you. The "cosmetic" projects never seem to end. Next up is to recover my ceiling cloud acoustic panels in black GOM (currently gray) and move them forward a tad (as I have moved my speakers previously) --- and add the 4th one I removed when installing my Atmos speakers. Further downstream is to cover the 4 columns (which contain the side and rear surrounds) with gray GOM DIY acoustic panels. Since the two side surrounds are directly across from one another, and are incased in these solid columns, it is very easy to see the opposite wall reflection when looking at an impulse response. So the covering of the columns is for acoustic and cosmetic reasons (as is the color change and movement of the ceiling cloud.)

After that, I may add some black material (GOM or black velvet) to the side walls in at least the front half of the room - or not !!

And some time during all of this, I plan to actually use the theater for its primary purpose - watching movies and college football. It, on occasion, becomes easy to confuse the journey with the destination - at least for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Lots of equipment changes since my original post. Here is the most recent list:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: Sony 600ES OR JVC RS500 w/ Powered Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and sled; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.0 Gain - XD Material);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Triad Platinum LCR's; SUBS: 4 Seaton F18 subs (1 Master and 3 Slaves driven by 4000 watt amp -- 2 in each of the front two corners) and (2) Seaton SubMersives (Master/Slave with 4000 Watt Amp) located on the rear wall; Surrounds: Triad Silver In-Room Monitors; (4) Tannoy Di6 DC heights (Atmos/Auro/DTS:X)

ELECTRONICS: Datasat RS20i Surround Processor; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotive XPA-5 driving the 4 ceiling speakers; d-sonic 7 channel amp (800 x 3 and 400 x 4)

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Kaleidescape Alto Movie Player; DirecTV 4K DVR; Apple TV; Amazon Fire Stick

ROOM STUFF: Theater chairs by Berkline; Room design and all acoustic treatment by AcousticSolutions, LLC & GIK.

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT: BlueJeans Cables (XLR and Single Ended), HDMI and Speaker Wire; Middle Atlantic Equipment Rack; Control4 System Controller

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
After that, I may add some black material (GOM or black velvet) to the side walls in at least the front half of the room - or not !!
I was thinking of doing the the same thing myself..I believe that it improves the perceived contrast...
If you do it I would be interested to hear what you think of it..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I was thinking of doing the the same thing myself..I believe that it improves the perceived contrast...
If you do it I would be interested to hear what you think of it..
The dealer I use has a room they label "The Black Hole", COMPLETELY covered in very black material. The "perceived" contrast is off the charts!

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
The dealer I use has a room they label "The Black Hole", COMPLETELY covered in very black material. The "perceived" contrast is off the charts!
I painted the front half of my theater room with Benjamin Moore's Super Flat black paint. It completely soaks up light... that's an option to be considered that's not material (just a word to the wise: keeping it streak free while painting isn't easy. It also wasn't easy to find (the BM dealer near me only had 2 gallons on hand... I was told folks rarely ask for it).

Love the gear list, by the way. :T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I painted the front half of my theater room with Benjamin Moore's Super Flat black paint. It completely soaks up light... that's an option to be considered that's not material (just a word to the wise: keeping it streak free while painting isn't easy. It also wasn't easy to find (the BM dealer near me only had 2 gallons on hand... I was told folks rarely ask for it).

Love the gear list, by the way. :T
I have some strengths but painting is not one of them. It takes me longer to mask than it does to paint, and then it still doesn't look very good. The cloth approach will be more expensive (and a lot more effort), but it will provide more uniformity to the overall "feel" of the theater, given the way I plan to do it.

And thanks on the gear list comment. Not a lot of changes planned BUT, I do plan to replace my 4 ceiling speakers one Triad finally releases their just announced Atmos speakers. I will eventually get a 4K source [e.g. new Oppo or maybe the Kaleidescape Strato] and also [maybe] the Kaleidescape DV700.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts