Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not mine but it looks like one from the 70's

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ele/1485171910.html

FREE Old style big screen tv (Duncannon)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-11-28, 10:52AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a old style projection tv. It still works good. Very big and heavy. Free but you houl it away. Need 2 or 3 guys to load and unload. Good for a basement or reck room. 717-554-8851

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it maybe but i am not sure. it maybe collectable. I dont have a place for it. the misses would kill me.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has that cool 70's retro look. I wonder if you could put an HD projector inside it and make it an HDTV. keep that 70's look but make it with new tech.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked that puppy up tonight and wanted to satisfy the curiosity.
It is a Sony KP-5000.
I didn't have a chance to fire it up yet.:sn:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't think that was an Advent, but my memory of those is getting weak. A number of vendors had these kinds of sets, Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, NEC, Curtis Mathis (same sets as NEC) and others. They only stayed on the market a few years until the RP sets took over.

I recall modifying some of the NEC sets to put a bigger flat screen on them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. glad someone picked it up. I would of picked it up but i didn't want the misses to kill me. It would of been like a 17 min drive from my house. I would of hated to see it go to the trash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got it hooked up. What a picture. It is ok enough but nearly no color. Like black a bit of brown and white. Maybe I messed it up transporting it. Neat set though. Came with the cloth screen cover and remote.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many pic tubes does it use? I think I saw one of these way back when and it only had two tubes. and then a mirror on the front that came down to project the video. like i said it would be cool if you could mod it with a new hd projector. if someone would brake in they wouldnt even think of taking that tv.

maybe there is some place to ajust the color to make it more vivid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep. 2 lenses. From what I read the blue and red "guns" use the same lens and the green uses the other one. The manual was on the 'net and showed how to adjust it. Goog picture now for a 1981 tv. Looks good except it is the typical picture from these old sets, like a modern projector in a room with the light on.
Still neat and had the right price.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is it mint? it looked mint in the photo. it maybe collectable some day if someone has a tv musium. most tv's this old are in the dump. It's the first one I saw this old ever. 28 years old. It's cool you have the screen cover and all.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
From Sony:
Product market date 7/1/1978
MSRP $3300

Specifications
UP/DOWN ON UNIT AND REMOTE(12 CHANNELS AVAIL)
PROJ PIC BRIGHT 60 FOOT LAMBERTS

Features
LARGE 50" SCREEN
ONEPIECE ALLOWS FOR EASY SET UP IN THE HOME
DURABLE COATED SCREEN
WIRELESS INFRA RED REMOTE CTRL UNIT RM 601W
TWO HIGH PERFORMANCE GLASS LENSES
60FL LANBERT BRIGHTNESS
ELECTRONIC TUNING
COLOR CTRL
VINYL PECAN VENEER ON WOOD CABINET

Wow, things have changed some, haven't they?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sure have. I already have two big screens I didn't need a 3rd. now if it was an hdtv dlp I would of picked it up for free. :) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd say very good condition. The veneer on the bottom side needs a bit of glue and the screen has a few scratches from kids. But otherwise in fine shape. The remote doesn't seem to function.
I just dig the 70's stuff. From my van to my music, etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
try replacement batteries in the remote. make sure the contacts are clean also. still for free how could you go wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.