Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a newbie I am not sure where to put this but arising out of discussion on Horns with Dylan here is a list of musical instruments with their frequency ranges. It should be useful to all Shacksters.

Musical Instruments - Frequency ranges:
Approximate or typical values in Hz. Fundamentals only.

Organ, 32 ft pipe 16 to 8k Hz
Piano, full size grand 27.5 - A, to 4186, top C
Harp 30 to 2500
Double Bassoon 33 to 350
Double Bass 41 to 380
Bass Tuba 42 to 380
Timpani 45 to ?
Bassoon 60 to 700
French Horn 70 to 600
'Cello 70 to 850
Bass Clarinet 75 to 700
Guitar 82 to 700
Trombone 85 to 500
Snare Drum 80 to ?
Kettle Drum 96 to ?
Banjo 110 to 800
Viola 150 to 1500
Clarinet 150 to 1700
Trumpet 190 to 980
Violin 196 to 3200
Oboe 210 to 1700
Flute 300 to 2500
Cymbals about 350 to 16000
Piccolo 450 to 3800

Human voice
Bass 90 to 300
Baritone 110 to 400
Tenor 150 to 500
Alto 190 to 700
Soprano 280 to 1050

The upper limits of drums are not stated as it is more about transients than frequency.
Stuart

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thanks for posting this, Stuart! An organ piece that I like to listen to is Toccata and Fugue in D minor (a lot of people here at the shack use this to test out their sub to :T). It has great low frequency parts in it, and almost all of the musicians that play it have great techniques.

·
Registered
452 Posts
An organ piece that I like to listen to is Toccata and Fugue in D minor (a lot of people here at the shack use this to test out their sub to :T). It has great low frequency parts in it, and almost all of the musicians that play it have great techniques.
Dylan,
What's the source that you recommend for this test recording (CD I assume)? I know some of the Telac titles of past were good reference material for low frequency material (organ music mostly).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks Stuart for posting that!! There is also this nice graphical representation of instrument and vocal frequency data.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Organ music through a subwoofer isn't as good as the real deal.
Definitely not. You just can't replicate that organ sound.

Dylan,
What's the source that you recommend for this test recording (CD I assume)? I know some of the Telac titles of past were good reference material for low frequency material (organ music mostly).
I've heard that some of the Telarc stuff went all the way down to 3hz. A CD would be good to use (probably the best), I just downloaded it to my PS3, and played it from there into my receiver. An Ipod would be the last choice for me at least. I've noticed that an Ipod can really cut down on the bass that you will be seeing, along with other things also.

Hey Matt, the link to your HT build in your sig isn't working...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It is futile to try to reproduce a pipe organ in a domestic size room, but the nearest you will get is definitely from a good horn. I love the Toccata too, or any of Bach's works. It is a good test for audio systems but many are not up to it. I find that for overall assessment of sound systems piano works are the best, Sonatas and concertos, as one can hear the smoothness and clarity from soft gentle notes to massive dramatic chords, and if the fidelity of the system is lacking that definitive piano character will always reveal it to a discerning listener. I also use another favourite - the 1812 overture. The famous recording by Beacham complete with canons I find a bit flat but von Karajan (a Tchaikovsky master) conducting the Berlin Phil without canons but with magnificent use of the orchestra, is always thrilling through my horns. For demo as much as testing.
Have you listened to Michael Murray on the Ruffatti organ in Davies Symphony Hall - CD87/253?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Have you listened to Michael Murray on the Rufratti organ in Davies Symphony Hall - CD87/253?
IIRC that organ has electronic pedal stops - I myself prefer his Cathedral of St. John the Divine recording. That organ's all real ;)

Or was all real. Not sure if it took any damage in the fire or not :(

I have a recording from the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall organ. That instrument has a 64' stop and something like 10 32's. That one's fun to play back on my 11Hz tuned ported subwoofer. Rattles all my wall paneling. A shame that organ is in such bad shape these days... you'd think it would be a major attraction by now being one of the two world's largest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts