Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what single piece of gear can you never imagine parting with? Perhaps a purchase that has proven to be so awesome that you would be unlikely to take more than what you paid for it. Perhaps you consider it the best quality youve ever owned, maybe the most handy and most often used, maybe it made the biggest difference in your home theater, or maybe its just the best value in gear you have ever experienced. For me, its very easy, my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. As headphones go they were pricey at $350 new, but they are also my most treasured and one of my most often used pieces of gear I own!

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
It would be my Aragon 8008bb. I drove from Charleston SC to West Lafayette Indiana to get it and it is both a true classic and holds a great amount of sentimental value.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
199 Posts
My Crown DC300A that I picked up when I was 15. Took me three months to save (that and the IC150 and DC150A).

I kept the DC300A. Sentimental value to me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My yamaha rx-v795. First receiver I ever bought - I think I was 14 when I got it...I'm 25 now. It still gets used for hours every day. I think I'll die before it will :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
My DIY speakers and subs along with all that goes with them, miniDSPs and amplifiers etc (those are all parts of the speaker as the miniDSPs are used as active crossovers). They are the best sounding speakers I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My eyes and ears. everything else will be victim to upgraditis.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I would have to say my Vectrex game console that I bought for $199 back in 82' not the first console I have owned but was a favorite.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I still have my first real high end, In my mind at the time, reciever. It is a STA-1000 Radio Shack reciever and It was connected to four tower speakers of the same brand and at 100w per channel I had all my neighbors in the apartment building telling me to turn it down.:bigsmile: It was 1975. It still works today but I sold the speakers and have it in storage. I will never sell it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I sometimes wish I owned such a piece but I don't. :sad: The closest thing I have is probably my Alpine CDA-9855 head unit that I paid $400 for. It's got 3-way active crossover capability, time delay, and a 5-band peq. I like blasting music in my car much better than at home.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I sometimes wish I owned such a piece but I don't. :sad: The closest thing I have is probably my Alpine CDA-9855 head unit that I paid $400 for. It's got 3-way active crossover capability, time delay, and a 5-band peq. I like blasting music in my car much better than at home.
Hello,
Boy do I miss the days when I had a fantastic Car Stereo. In my previous car, I had dual Focal Utopia Component Sets, Alpine CDA-7949 (old H/U with Copper Plated Chassis), JL Audio 300/2 (2), JL 12W7 Prowedge, JL 1000/1, Audiocontrol DSP, Custom Tuning, etc.

Going from that to the Bose System that is intertwined with seemingly every aspect of my Infiniti M45 is a cruel joke. While I could have easily tapped the Rear Speaker Leads and had Bass, it would be too painful to have great Bass and Bosetastic Paper Coned Woofers and Tweeters. Not too mention the monster Bose Subwoofer that already resides on the Rear Deck of my Car!
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
910 Posts
In 1970 bought a McIntosh 2 channel C2105 Power Amp. Cashed in my Home Ownership Savings Plan to get it. Loved that gear

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nothing wrong with paper cones, some of the best drivers in the world are paper, such as many ScanSpeaks. Waterproofing can be a problem but thats all. Bose' problem isn't what the cones are made of but everything else.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jungle Jack said:
Hello,
Boy do I miss the days when I had a fantastic Car Stereo. ...
Going from that to the Bose System that is intertwined with seemingly every aspect of my Infiniti M45 is a cruel joke.
I hear you man. Sometimes it's not worth it. Taking the entire interior of my Lexus apart to install dynamat, new wiring, baffles, etc was a lot of work and expense. But my stock system had died so it was an easy choice.

The stock system was actually ok but once I got time alignment I was wowed. Would be hard to go back.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I don't currently own anything that cannot be replaced. My main system has changed 100% in the last 2 years, and I am about to make a few more changes. I just sold my B&W 602S3's, they will be gone tomorrow, soon to be replaced with something else. Such is the nature of the beast. :spend:

I do wish I had kept my Hafler XL600 amplifier/NAD 1020 preamp combo. :sad:

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hard to pick just one, after everything it took to get the current system put together. But if I HAD to, I would have to say my Denon 4310CI w/Audyssey MultEQ XT. I love the daylights outta this AVR!:hsd::yikes: :D

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Probably my Advent Baby II speakers[i've had em since 1985 and they sound as good as they day I got em].
Hello,
When during my Freshman Year at UGA when I purchased my first real pair of Speakers and HT (Paradigm Monitor 7's, Paradigm CC, Denon AVR-4800. I was completely broke when it came to Surrounds and was given a Pair of Advents. I cannot remember the Model, but they had Light Oak End Caps, were fairly small, and sounded surprisingly good.

I used them until my Junior Year when I purchased another pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's and placed my first pair as Surrounds and also added an Energy Subwoofer. Compared to my Fraterinity Brothers and friends, I had a massively better system as most were using awful HTIB's (they were especially bad back then) and always held Sunday Movie Night at my House throughout College. It really became quite a production with runs to the Atlanta Fish Market, and other top tier Suppliers to take Dinner and a Movie to a whole other level. I literally brought 5 Married Couples together after meeting at Movie Night.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts