Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to fine-tune my Home Theater room but I don t know what I need for this. Let me try to explain my situation (sorry in advance for my bad English).

I have a nice HT room that was professionally build with the help of a company here in the Netherlands. We began with a 'zero-measurement' and from that point it was building, measuring, building, measuring etc. Now, after 2 years, I have a HT room with a very nice reverberation time http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/gemiddeldenagalmtijdein.jpg/. I have added some more basstraps so the 0-100 delay will be a little better than you see in the picture. A new measurement will be done soon.

My room has a Sombra-D panels ceiling, and a lot of basstraps and diffusers.

I am satisfied with the reverberation in my room but next thing I want to look for is a nice frequency response at my listening position. I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction what I need for this.

My hardware:
- Marantz SR5005 + NuForce MCH-2-C5 (unbalanced/RCA wired)
- Teufel Theater 8 5.1 THX-UltraII speaker set

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts

I am satisfied with the reverberation in my room but next thing I want to look for is a nice frequency response at my listening position. I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction what I need for this.
Are you unhappy with the Audyssey auto-EQ feature your receiver has for the main channels?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to 'know' what s going on and can t read anything with the auto-EQ function of the SR5005 can I? (haven t used it yet because I don t 'trust' Audyssey-auto function. Don t know why this is, just a feeling)

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts

Thanks, wasn’t sure if you were asking for hardware recommendations or what. A good start would be to take some full-range measurements with REW. For that you’ll need a calibrated mic from a vender like Cross Spectrum Labs, and a USB sound card w/ mic pre-amp such as the Tascam US-122. You can see other soundcard recommendations in the REW Soundcard Database thread.

With this equipment, you can measure the "before and after" results of Audyssey or your own manual equalization.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I want to 'know' what s going on and can t read anything with the auto-EQ function of the SR5005 can I? (haven t used it yet because I don t 'trust' Audyssey-auto function. Don t know why this is, just a feeling)
While you are right to want to know what's going on, the only tool you have for EQ is Audyssey and, since I believe that it is generally useful, you should use it. Of course, you can always turn it off if you do not like the results and you can actually measure before/after with REW or other measurement tools. You really have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
While you are right to want to know what's going on, the only tool you have for EQ is Audyssey and, since I believe that it is generally useful, you should use it. Of course, you can always turn it off if you do not like the results and you can actually measure before/after with REW or other measurement tools. You really have nothing to lose.
Hi Kal

Is there any current model manual PEQ you would reccomend for full range

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Is there any current model manual PEQ you would reccomend for full range
The only multichannel ones I can think of are both manual and automatic and pricey. ADA/Trinnov, TacT, JBL Synthesis. You can also stack multiples of 2 channel EQs. In addition, some prepros, like the Classe, Krell and Bryston have useful EQs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only multichannel ones I can think of are both manual and automatic and pricey. ADA/Trinnov, TacT, JBL Synthesis. You can also stack multiples of 2 channel EQs. In addition, some prepros, like the Classe, Krell and Bryston have useful EQs.
and just build-in eq. in my SR5005 is just as good as these pricey multichannel eq.?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, wasn’t sure if you were asking for hardware recommendations or what. A good start would be to take some full-range measurements with REW. For that you’ll need a calibrated mic from a vender like Cross Spectrum Labs, and a USB sound card w/ mic pre-amp such as the Tascam US-122. You can see other soundcard recommendations in the REW Soundcard Database thread.

With this equipment, you can measure the "before and after" results of Audyssey or your own manual equalization.

Regards,
Wayne
thanks. Just found a cheap Tascam 144. What is the best mic to use with REW? Do I also need a SPL meter besides a mic?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thanks Kal

Just for 2 channel only, which ones would you reccomend

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Thanks Kal

Just for 2 channel only, which ones would you reccomend
From experience, the DEQX. It is expensive but very powerful. I just received a sample of the Anti-Mode 2.0 which is much more affordable and, although it it promising, I cannot comment yet on its sound/performance. I suggest you take a look at it, though, as the company has a good reputation and record.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From experience, the DEQX. It is expensive but very powerful. I just received a sample of the Anti-Mode 2.0 which is much more affordable and, although it it promising, I cannot comment yet on its sound/performance. I suggest you take a look at it, though, as the company has a good reputation and record.

Thanks Kal.

Any particualar model of the DEQX?

Where/when will you posting the Anti Mode 2.0 results, i guess Stereophile?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Thanks Kal.

Any particualar model of the DEQX?

Where/when will you posting the Anti Mode 2.0 results, i guess Stereophile?

Thanks again
They are all roughly equivalent in terms of EQ ability and differ mostly in in/out facilities and in control/preamp features.

Yes, of course, in Stereophile.

Kal

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope. But it is much much better than none. :T
and what benefits does a pricey high-end eq. offer over the internal eq. on my Marantz?

EDIT: I m running a PRE/PRO setup (Marantz SR5005 with NuForce MCH-2-C5 amplifier (unbalanced connected/RCA). Do I have a benefit with this setup when I want multi-channel eq?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
and what benefits does a pricey high-end eq. offer over the internal eq. on my Marantz?

EDIT: I m running a PRE/PRO setup (Marantz SR5005 with NuForce MCH-2-C5 amplifier (unbalanced connected/RCA). Do I have a benefit with this setup when I want multi-channel eq?
Higher resolution, better control and customization. The Audyssey in your Marantz will certainly do a competent job but one cannot tweak it at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I m running a PRE/PRO setup (Marantz SR5005 with NuForce MCH-2-C5 amplifier (unbalanced connected/RCA). Do I have a benefit with this setup when I want multi-channel eq?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I m running a PRE/PRO setup (Marantz SR5005 with NuForce MCH-2-C5 amplifier (unbalanced connected/RCA). Do I have a benefit with this setup when I want multi-channel eq?
If you are asking if there is a benefit to be gained by adding the DEQX to this setup, my answer is that it is more than likely. My lack of positivity is based on my ignorance of your speakers, room setup and acoustics and personal bias/preference in sound. OTOH, you might be better served by applying the cost of the DEQX to (1) improving the unnamed speakers, (2) improving their setup and room acoustics and/or (3) getting a prepro with Audyssey XT32+Pro. There is no simple answer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts