Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started getting into measuring frequency responses, but I'm excited to see if I can get better sound out of my equipment. My wallet may not be as excited, however. :spend:

This is my setup:
Epik Sentinel, corner loaded (only option for WAF)
Radioshack digital SPL meter
Behringer UCA202 USB sound card

10-31-09 sub only x-over 80 phase 0.jpg

I ran REW with the sub only, crossed over at 80hz. I see that I have several things going on, and I'm not surprised, because it is in a fairly open living room with lots of walls/openings.

The question is...do you think a BFD 1124P will be effective enough in making a significant difference, or will I need to do something else? I've read a lot about subwoofers/speakers/etc., but I'm pretty new in the PEQ and room treatment arena.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
do you think a BFD 1124P will be effective enough in making a significant difference
Absolutely.

You can imagine how weak you hear the signal at 20Hz when you have a peak from 25Hz-35Hz that is 15dB higher. Bring it down (easy with a BFD) and all of a sudden you hear 20Hz....

brucek

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent...just ordered one that should arrive by the weekend. I ordered the XLR-RCA cables, but I was haven't a harder time finding a cheap usb-->midi cable. The one that I saw recommended on several of the posts here (Edirol UM-1EX) has been discontinued and I don't want to pay the extra money for one of the few shops that has it. Do you know of another good usb-->midi cable that would work or if any brick and mortar stores would still be carrying the UM-1EX?

Thanks again for the quick help! :)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Do you know of another good usb-->midi cable
It's quite simple to enter the filters by hand into the front panel, so it's not a show stopper if you can't find the cable. I've never used the cable method - I can enter filters before you'd have your cable connected. :)

brucek

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It's quite simple to enter the filters by hand into the front panel, so it's not a show stopper if you can't find the cable. I've never used the cable method - I can enter filters before you'd have your cable connected. :)

brucek
Yeah this is the fun method anyway. :bigsmile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts