Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally started the project. Originally I was looking for a high quality sub amp. This lead me to Funk Audio. Nathan and I discussed my goals for my home theater system and after many e-mails I finally settled on the system I'm currently building.

Amplifier:
Funk Audio 2.4kw x 2 version 1. This is the same amp module used in the 18.0 subwoofer. Just add another module and place it in it's own chassis.

Speakers:
Two Funk Audio TSAD18v1 18 inch drivers

Passive Radiators:
Four Funk Audio PHSAD18v1 passive radiators

Enclosure Details:
Each driver will have a net internal volume of 220L

I'll post more pics tomorrow and give a little more detail regarding the enclosure design.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Those are great subwoofers Nick has. Any pics of the amp? And do you have a retail price on the amp? Is there any DSP also?

Nick has always had some of the best finishes on subwoofers I have ever seen. So seeing you are building using his products I have a lot of questions.:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks like he did include a pic of the amp and like he stated its in its own chassis

Also love more info on the cost of what you purchased from him.

I see the amp does have a menu button and a few other buttons that I cannot read

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
My mistake on the amp picture. It was just hard to see in the pic was all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I finally started the project. Originally I was looking for a high quality sub amp. This lead me to Funk Audio. Nathan and I discussed my goals for my home theater system and after many e-mails I finally settled on the system I'm currently building.

Amplifier:
Funk Audio 2.4kw x 2 version 1. This is the same amp module used in the 18.0 subwoofer. Just add another module and place it in it's own chassis.

Speakers:
Two Funk Audio TSAD18v1 18 inch drivers

Passive Radiators:
Four Funk Audio PHSAD18v1 passive radiators

Enclosure Details:
Each driver will have a net internal volume of 220L

I'll post more pics tomorrow and give a little more detail regarding the enclosure design.
Awesome build! How much did the subs cost if you don't mind?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are great subwoofers Nick has. Any pics of the amp? And do you have a retail price on the amp? Is there any DSP also?

Nick has always had some of the best finishes on subwoofers I have ever seen. So seeing you are building using his products I have a lot of questions.:D
Looks like he did include a pic of the amp and like he stated its in its own chassis

Also love more info on the cost of what you purchased from him.

I see the amp does have a menu button and a few other buttons that I cannot read
Awesome build! How much did the subs cost if you don't mind?
Let's put it this way. The build is going to cost me about 60% of what it would cost to purchase two 18.3 subwoofers.

I'll post some better pictures of the amp soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've made a little more progress. I've finished glueing and screwing the two panels of each of the sides, front and back together. I wanted to flush mount the drivers, so I used a router and a circle jig to cut out the respective holes and glued the two 3/4 inch pieces together. Instead of using clamps, I used 1"1/4" wood screws. After assembly, I'll remove the screws and fill the holes with wood putty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Are you just flush mounting the frame and adding a grille later or just leave the woofers exposed?

I know for me I added enough baffles to have the drivers surround flush so I was only curious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you just flush mounting the frame and adding a grille later or just leave the woofers exposed?

I know for me I added enough baffles to have the drivers surround flush so I was only curious.
I'm just flush mounting the frame and adding grills later. The piece that you're looking at is the front or rear. Four passive radiators are going to be mounted directly apposed on the front and the back. The box will lay flat on the ground. The two ends will then house the active drivers, again directly apposed. The grills will have to be strong being that they are so low.

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to make the grills. They are beautiful speakers, so I'd hate to cover them. I was thinking of some kind of metal mesh. Like something you would find on a old PE locker

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Do the passive radiators have the same cones?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Gorgeous!!!!:T I might have to do some of his PR's. Although who knows with my ever changing mind of subwoofers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made a little more progress today. I've got the sides, braces, and tops and bottoms assembled. Tomorrow I attach the front and back. Then I pull the screws and prep for paint. Still haven't figured out the grills. Nathan recommended 1.25 to 1.5 inches between the front of the mounting flange and the grill. Trying to finish by Sunday. We have a walking dead season finale party at my house.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The box is assembled. It's heavy! I'm going to have to put it on casters. Time to start puttying the holes or pookas as we call them in Hawaii. I figured out the grills. I'm going to use a 1 inch wide by 1.5 inch tall 21.5' x 21.5'square frame. I found a shop here that sells different types of metal grill material. I'll have them cut it to a 20.5 inch square and flush mount them to the frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Looks good. All that work looks like you need to have some pupu's after your progress.

Are you a kama`aina?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Will these be glued or screwed on to be held in place?

Does that material flex very much at all?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will these be glued or screwed on to be held in place?

Does that material flex very much at all?
I'm going to screw them and add a trim over the border to hide the screws. I was a little worried, but after screwing it down, there was very little flex. If I had to do it over again, I would use something a little thicker. Now I need something rubber to go around the edge of the metal grill. I'm looking for something like the rubber strip used on the outside of the waffle type grill. Anybody have a suggestion?

I was able to prime and put one coat on tonight. It's 1:30 am. I'm going to sleep. Tomorrow, I put the casters and input terminals on the bottom of the enclosure, finish building the grills and put on the second coat of paint. Should have her up and running by Saturday.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts