Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
This is about control nothing else. Developers have more and us less, simple as that. Sure it will cut costs, but the end users wont see the savings, developers will simple increase their own profits. When that happens, publishers will react to try keep their own profits up, and gamers will have no way of selling on old games, which is something the industry is working hard to force into oblivion.

Cloud gaming will be good if we all have super fast reliable internet connections, something that still isnt really a reality, despite massive advertised speeds of upto 100meg in the UK. It will mean you only need a moderately spec'd end user machine in the home, which is where we as end users will likely see some saving (which will more likely translate as to no increase rather than any actual saving), but beyond that cloud gaming hands all the cards to the developers.

XBL, PSN and Steam style services will end up becoming the norm, they will have to to ensure you only need one account to make your purchases. You will then end up with a library of licenses to access games from devs. I honestly cant see prices dropping. The devs and hardware manufacturers will increase profits and monopolise control of everything, and things will change for sure. Will the end user actually see any real benefit from all of that? I cant see it. Things will get no worse I am sure, but I cant really see any benefits for us, unless of course having no physical media floats your boat. Cloud gaming will be like PSN and XBLA is now, only you wont download the game anymore either, and to be honest I dont really have a problem with that, but if XBL keeps charging for its service and the cost of games doesnt drop a bit, I'll feel a little ripped off, especially if I buy a game that ends up being rubbish.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts